LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:
    Interesting........ after attacking her? ..... he delivers a 25 minute brown trout @ 16:27

I am so happy to read that!  Not sure if I'll have it, in view of the stream probs.  Will check after posting this.

I have not doubt whatsoever that it was Axel AX6 seamlessly bombing and buzzing poor Mistle - who did start it, tho, as pointed out by SPF KORKY (I knew I should have put a winkie at the end of that sentence).

Very long, but the only superfluous bit, IMHO, is the short period devoted to "Mistle's recovery".

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

CRinger said:
    Interesting........ after attacking her? ..... he delivers a 25 minute brown trout @ 16:27

I am so happy to read that!  Not sure if I'll have it, in view of the stream probs.  Will check after posting this.

I have not doubt whatsoever that it was Axel AX6 seamlessly bombing and buzzing poor Mistle -

OMG! I have never seen 1 partner attacking the other!!! Ok..... 1 for the history books!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Scylla - just sent you a PM.

• Watched this earlier and could not believe my eyes so thanks to all for updates and captures.

I have been following LG and other nests since 2008 and this is the first time I have ever seen partners attack each other.

But as well as that, I think this is also the first I have seen a male attack / divebomb a female as any nest I have watched, usually any defending / aggression is same sex ie female against female and male against male.

Such strange behaviour!!
  • Replied, CRINGER :) 

Here wss the "peace offering" and Axel eventually claiming his share:

May I suggest it was a brown trout?  With great tentativity?

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Replied, CRINGER :) 

Here wss the "peace offering" and Axel eventually claiming his share:

May I suggest it was a brown trout?  With great tentativity?

Don't be so tentative!!!! With such a crystal clear shot Salmo trutta sans doutes - and not Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow) - but I do like typing the latin for a rainbow - and it just rolls off the tongue! 

• "get off the eggs"

"sorry, I didn't recognise you with that fluff on your beak"

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Evening all, well what a day! What on earth was that all about at lunchtime, he was right mad at her, whatever was going on in his head. Good to see fish being delivered again. Not toooooo long now untill we hopefully will have bobbleheads.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lynn L said:
    Not toooooo long now untill we hopefully will have bobblehead

I've been thinking about that today, wondering (like I do a lot!) when we (I) should start to get anxious and recall the non-turning of eggs and start visualising tragedies Grin 

Goodnight all!

IMAGICAT

• She will sit on them for 37 days Scylla, so 1st egg laid on 3rd May, if that is counted as day one, then next Wednesday 8th June we should have our first chick.

Don't be worrying and mythering now, hopefully all will be good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.