LOCH OF THE LOWES - JUNE 2022

Link to May 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as we had hoped, the middle of May proved to be a wonderful time with three successful hatches. Laddie, with his prolific fishing skills, is providing extremely well for his family and NC0’s attentive feeding for all three Osplets, is an absolute joy to watch! Let's hope everything continues to go well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22 (c12:00)   NC0 - 23.3.22 (18:14)

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22 (18:34)   Egg #2 - 15.4.22 (16:05)   Egg #3 - 18.4.22 (12:14)

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22 (10:26) - 37 days   Chick #2 - 21.5.22 (03:24) - 36 days   Chick #3 - 23.5.22 (19:46) - 35 days

15.6.22:  At 23 days old, chick #3 passed away Broken heart 

27.6.22: Our osprey chicks have been ringed!  Chick #1 - LP8   Chick #2 - LR0  (Genders not determined)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April and May

2.6.22: Blog (which includes historic LotL info) >>> Free Week-End at Loch of the Lowes 4th & 5th June

6.6.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

10.6.22: Blog >>> What’s on the Menu? Osprey diets at Loch of the Lowes

15.6.22: Blog >>> Sad news from the nest

24.6.22: Blog >>> It won’t be long until the ospreys start to fledge

28.6.22: Blog >>> Our osprey chicks have been ringed!

• 22:47 Beautiful...

©SWT/LotL

• Beautiful peaceful scene Looks like there could just have been a feed NC0 tucking in herself now

C SWT/LotL

• Good morning Patily and all

Thank you, Patily.

Scrolling back, that was the second sitting from fish #3 that Laddie had delivered just after 6:20. He brought the first, a rather small one, to the nest at 4:35ish and the second at 4:50ish

Fish #1

Fish #2

No fish remained at the end of the feed

Fish #3 

She took an age to get up to collect the fish from Laddie

NC0 discarded the remainder of the fish to settle on the chicks

7:30 The second sitting as mentioned by Patily

©SWT/LotL

• Good morning everyone Slight smile yes seeing NC0 sitting there with her chicks (and Laddie of course) is indeed a beautiful thing. The view from the nest over the Loch is breathtaking. Every day I am grateful to be able to watch this and feel a part of it.
  • Unbelievable!! 3rd fish this morning at 6.20am. Rofl More unbelievable - NC0 SLOW to get up to collect a fish haha, at this rate, they could’ve raised 4 or 5 chicks!
  • Morning ALL - thanks for all the updates. What a star Laddie is!

What a lovely day I had yesterday at the Lowes.  Beautiful weather and surprisingly it wasn’t too busy so got good look around the 50 years exhibition currently being set up for this jubilee holiday weekend and most importantly fantastic views of the nest.   Laddie was on top form feeding and protecting his family.   I’ve picked out a few photos from the hundreds I took lol

First view of the nest from the hide – it is just beautiful, prime location

One of Laddie’s many (I think it was 7) fish deliveries

Screen in hide showing chicks being fed 

Lately, Laddie has taken to sitting below the nest out of NCO’s and our sight!!    (you can see him toward’s the right of the photo)

Laddie in flight

Early afternoon, there was an intruder.  Laddie was quick to join NCO when she called.  It flew around for a bit, no real threat and flew off followed by Laddie a few minutes later just to make sure it was gone!! 

Below the nest the deer were peeking out from the woodland

Pair of herons

An exhibition was being set up for this Jubilee weekend and we managed to preview photos and info about the last 50 years at the Lowes including a selection of lovely photos of Lady.   I’m not posting any images of this as I think unfair to Lowes who may include these in a post and of course people are visiting.  But I must make one exception which fascinated me - the very first nest cam back in 1993 which was concealed in a nest box!!

And lastly – the fishing board!!   

No rainbow trout!!   This surprised us leading to a good discussion with staff who were lovely.    The Lowes also Butterstone Loch just over the hill isn’t stocked hence no rainbows so when Laddie fishes Lowes, he will most likely catch small perch or pike and brown trout will be from the River Tay which runs nearby. 

So all in, a fantastic day and I can’t wait to return when the chicks are near fledging!!      

• Oh Karen - what a super report about your time spent at Lowes! I can imagine how hard it must have been to select just some of your fantastic pics to share with us! What a novel idea to have the first cam in a nest box! lol  The fish stats make very interesting reading.

So pleased that you had a wonderful time just like Glider, Korky and others who have visited. It's such a shame that I live so far away (500 miles) to be able to take a day trip to see all the sights and sounds myself. 

Thank you so much! Kissing heart

• You're welcome Sandra :-) Yes, a few of us are very fortunate that we can spend the day there as it is a wonderful experience.

I've got to go but - BBL
  • Sandra P said:

Oh Karen - what a super report about your time spent at Lowes! I can imagine how hard it must have been to select just some of your fantastic pics to share with us! What a novel idea to have the first cam in a nest box! lol  The fish stats make very interesting reading.

So pleased that you had a wonderful time just like Glider, Korky and others who have visited. It's such a shame that I live so far away (500 miles) to be able to take a day trip to see all the sights and sounds myself. 

Thank you so much! 

I second everything Sandra has said. Blush Your photos are amazing Karen, seeing Laddie below in a tree to the side of the nest. I wonder if it is the tree Sandra has spotted him going to a few times, to our right of the nest? The heron, deer and I’m sure many wildfowl and other birds you saw would be icing on the cake. You certainly picked one of the best days to go with the good weather and Laddie’s fishing quota extraordinaire! I too am surprised that there were no rainbow trout caught - I’ve mistakenly identified them in the past! Those must’ve been in the “other” group haha. 

• Glider said:

Sandra P said:

Sandra, you’ll need to have a wee holiday up there to visit the ospreys. Dunkeld, Pitlochry, all of that area is so beautiful and there are lots of nice wee hotels, places to stay, quaint shops and lovely walks around.