LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

IMAGICAT

• Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• That is an 18 minute fish if ever I saw one.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 16:49 Mistle returns - so it was a 29 min fish.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I haveto laugh at Axel - he food solicits to get her back to the nest when she is eating, then when she gets back he is SO reluctant to stop incubating - so Mistle flies off again and he is content. Go figure!

• Question: Why did we see, particularly in the 1990's, different reactions from the resident pair of Ospreys to intruding Ospreys:

1, Alarm call and defending of the nest to chasing the intruder away.
    2, No alarm call but an adult circling peacefully with the intruder until both disappeared.

A possible explanation is that in 2 the intruder was recognised as a chick from the nest frpm a previous year (probably male as they tend to return much closer to their natal nests to prevent in-breeding, rather than females than tend to disperse longer distances) BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when they fledged from the nest they were in juvenile plumage............. having returned at least 2 years later they would look - TO US ............. much more different!

Explanations for this beaviour VERY welcome!

• Thanks Scylla for poiting me to the appropriate thread,
    BYW - have posted 2 clothes pegs for your nose when you get Sheila's post,
    Hope the nrighbours don't complain and call thre council.

• Cuckoo still doing his stuff at 21.56
  • CRinger said:
    have posted 2 clothes pegs for your nose

What makes you think my nose requires TWO clothespegs, CRINGER?  You're right, by the way Grin 

Her Dear Ladyship is sitting patiently in the rain - I haven't checked the morning yet.

EDIT

She took a comfort break @ 04:45, no other activity of great note.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

CRinger said:
    have posted 2 clothes pegs for your nose

What makes you think my nose requires TWO clothespegs, CRINGER?  You're right, by the way  

I always work on the assumption that it is better to be safe than sorry and indubitably use a sledgehammer to crack a nut!