LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

IMAGICAT

• It may be me, but I don't think we 'officially' announced the time of the first fish?
    13:09 Axel arrives back at the nest and gets an earful because he is fishless.
    I predict in advance a 48 minute fish @ 15.40

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• scylla said:

CRinger said:
    Of course I am not still smarting that my post about Glen Affric and Pippa Middleton 2 days ago attratced no likes after 3 hours reseach. I will just sulk in my corner.

Post me a link, MrMischief, and I'll rectify that incredible omission  

I would add that I am sometimes very frustrated by the sudden adoption of the Like button several years ago, up until when it was hardly ever used.  Now it causes delay when catching up for the reader, and upset at being unLiked for the poster.  It's now more of an acknowledgement button than a Like button.

WOW! I had no idea my tongue in cheek comment to scylla would unleash such vitriol from some members about the 'like' button! I had no idea some people felt very strongly! I, for one, believe I am very selective when using it!

In answer to scylla, no idea about a link but the top of Page 54 is ingrained in my memory! Joy

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I think this might be a 'Sunday afternoon' thing while I wait for the 15:40 fish, but I am sitting here looking at Mistle thinking how regal she looks. That made me wonder what adjectives best described her............ I cam up with ........ alert, belligerent, chirruping (Thanks SheilaFE), dedicated, eggy (Thanks scylla), feisty, gorgeous, hungry, insistent (Thanks scylla), jubilant, keen, lonely (Thanks scylla), Mistle, noisy (Thanks SheilaFE), professional (Thanks SheilaFE), protective, quixotic, responsible (Thanks Wattle 15), settled (Thanks SheilaFE) & stood standing (Thanks scylla), tenacious, unique, valiant, well fed & wearing the pants (Thanks for BOTH CC), (e)xasperated, zealous. As you can see not only mine but many other posters just in May. I suppose I might have been inspired by the post on live chat by RSPB video on 4th May: 'all will be revealed shortly about naming' Mistle.

Rolling eyes

• 16:16. Axel is rather late (36 min) with FOTD #2 but Mistle doesn'tappear to mind. A 19 minute fish.

• 16:16. Axel is rather late (36 min) with FOTD #2 but Mistle doesn'tappear to mind. A 19 minute fish.

• Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Going on from my earlier post, to catch up.

10.47.39   We have a resident cuckoo

11.09         Mistle returns.  Contact chirrups.  Both check the skies, then the eggs.  Axel is astride the eggs, and with very little encouragement he stepped aside allowing Mistle to settle on the eggs.  She starts calling.  Axel is on sentry duty, and preening.

11.36       Axel is still on the far side of the nest, dozing, and relaxed.  Mistle calls.

11.41       Mistle returns with a large stick.  Then she 'persuades' Axel to get up.  Walks up close, talons under him .  Leans across him and scratches his back, twice.  She shoved him, and still he didn't move, walking close alongside him and pushing, eventually pushing under his tail and again she sneaks in from the side!  So funny.  There's not much room for her to lie down.  He just stands there.

11.49      Axel leaves  40 minutes together on the nest

11.56       Mistle keeps looking around, and towards the dead tree/nest area.  Watching something.

12.00       She starts intruder calling, but doesn't get up.

And again.  And again.  Looking to the back/right.

12.01       Still intruder calling, but not continuously.  I keep thinking I see something flying, but I think it is just that, insects!

12.03       She is silent now by looking keenly away from the nest.

12.05       Mistle half mantles, and intruder calls.

12.06       An osprey is flying and lands on the far left of the dead tree.  It may have taken off.  I can't tell.  Mistle watches the sky above.

12.18       Mistle continued to watch the skies, but is now relaxed and attending to her bib.

12.47        Mistle rose and definitely attempted to turn an egg again.  It kept rolling back, but at least it's had a stir!

13.09        Axel landed on Mistle's back, with a large stick.  Not a happy bunny.  Having extricated herself she flew off, and Axel sort/ed his stick and incubated.

13.12        Mistle returned with a small stick, and moved Axel's stick  and made very unsubtle hints that he should move.  He did.  She gave him the verbals too.

13.36       Her complaints got louder and she took off.  Axel dutifully took over incubation.

13.39       Mistle returned, landing between his right side and the edge of the nest, near us.  She walked around to his tail, touching him all the time.  She walked to his tail,  moved a stick, tried to walk past him, got her foot caught his tail and they got into a pickle.  Axel stood up and before he was properly up she was heading for the cup, calling all the while.  He made it to the far side and stood there, moving the odd stick, surveying the landscape.

Go get a fish, dear!

14.42.52     Axel flew off and Mistle called and called!  She watched something in the sky and stopped calling.  Axel?  Not an intruder.

14.17        The wind got up briefly.  Front coming thru?  Could get some rain around 15.00.  Most of it is further west.

16.15        #1 FISH – headless, and not very big.  Gven the leftover they ate this morning, it is probably #2 -  it didn't look golden enough to be a brown trout, so I reckon a Rainbow trout

I will go back and snip some pics. - done!

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• OMG! I created a JPEG! Sitting here exceedingly smug. First time I have done it! I expect 5, 000 likes!

• Well done!! I make snips using the MS Snipping Tool. It's cumbersome, but works.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• She is back within 3 minutes. Dare I suggest she dropped it???