LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

• CRinger said:
    Apparently fish @ 11:37.

I did report it CRinger, but failed to add a time on the first line, which I have now done.  Highly remiss of me.  CC also spoke of it.

• 15.45 Axel thinks it is his turn with the fish and is calling!  

16.27  Mistle has brought back the fish-  Mistle couldn't let go, and there wasa spot of leg pulling as Axel tried to drag it away.

Success, and he flew off with the left overs and Mistle incubated.  It is still very windy

I have tried three times to post my snip of the tug o' war, but I keep getting a red error, so if I remember I'll try again later.  One more go...

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows 

• WOW! That was a 47 minute fish! I shall always measure them in minutes now and not inches!
  • I must go for a bit now. Possibly back later.
  • SheilaFE said:

CRinger said:
    Apparently fish @ 11:37.

I did report it CRinger, but failed to add a time on the first line, which I have now done.  Highly remiss of me.  CC also spoke of it.

That was very weird! When I looked earlier no-one had posted today at all until my post about the 1st fish............ once I saw your reply I scrolled back and my laptop had failed to load a whole page of posts! I DO apologise!

• 18.17.05   #3 FISH  another brown trout but this was headless.  Another swift change-over.  They are becoming so professional!

18.48-Axel is still incubating, dozing occasionally,  But one plus, I think the wind is easing.

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

• Good evening, what a great day Axel hax had fishing, the small whale and the huge brown trout, well done. They are doing a fabulous job on this nest together. Hope it all countinues.
  • SheilaFE said:

They are becoming so professional

That is SO apposite!

I wish I could find words like yours!

Instead I wander off into realms of useless adjectives and adverbs and thoughts of being President of Axel's fan club.

Even my teacher at primary school once wrote in a report (and my mother still reminds me of it till this day) 'He loves the English language. He never uses 30 words where he thinks 30, 000 will do quite nicely.'

• Thanks folks for your observations and pics, much appreciated.
  • SheilaFE said:

15.40   #2 FISH, a huge (query) brown trout!

I can't argue with the fish ID - it's the one I think looks a bit like a kipper Grin 

Here was the delivery Heart eyes preceded by a demo of the wind Persevere 

14 May

Mistle is still waiting for her partner, she's a little bit tired from bracing against that wind!