LOCH GARTEN - May 2022

AX6 Axel and his lovely unringed partner Mistle are bonding well, and Mistle has been threatening to lay an egg - we await developments.

It seems that Mistle has been on the perch & nest all night:

• scylla said:

JaneV said:

11.29 Mistle was up with a start looking down below the nest.

Edit I think she can hear or sense something below the nest.  Hopefully not 2 or 4 legged.

Hmmmmmm. First time I have heard it - was having a Skype work meeting at the time so I had to mute. It sounded VERY like the 'pops' at the start of a male capercaillie display - BUT a. unusual for another bird to be spooked by it and b. the displays NORMALLY stop about 2 - 3 hours after dawn. BUT thearea around the nest IS a known capercaillie lek.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Thank you Scylla for the video, I hadn't heard the "pops" earlier. Capercaillie lek how interesting perhaps LG might have some more info.
  • I'm sitting in Cambridge waiting for OH to return, but it's lovely to be able to catch up on the mobile. Axel has surprised, but delighted me!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Having a quick catch up in my late lunch hour, could not wait until I got home and had dinner, to see what was happening or had happened since last night. Oh my, Axel has been delivering fish, 3 in all and sitting on the precious egg. Well done the boy, what a delight to see, I hope that he continues to bring in the fish and sit on the egg and hopefully eggs and that we have a successful nest this year, everything crossed for mum, dad and the egg/s.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Unknown said:
    I'll be glad to pardon the lad and do the grovelling bit to all you Ospreyholics

Sack cloth and ashes tomorrow for you if we get 3 fish in the day! Buy tar and feathers in preparation for Friday.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 15.24 Fish.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Didn't last long.  They're watching something above, and Mistle is hinting for more fish in between.

• Fish is imminent. He's so proud looking sitting there. But he's already calling for the return of the fish! Good luck, lol.

• Latest blog from Loch Garten

Tenemos un huevo!...We have an egg.
    For the first time in 4 years we are seeing Loch Garten being used as an active nest site and it is really exciting! The male osprey (Axel) has brought in fish this morning too so hopefully we will see his luck continue over the next couple weeks and maybe more eggs to follow!
  • Another snack!

(c) RSPB Loch Garten