LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2022

Link to March/April 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie (LM12) and NC0 have continued their excellent partnership from last season, not only with the incubation of their three beautiful eggs but also in defending the nest, and area, from intruding Ospreys.

During the middle of this month, all being well, we will witness three gorgeous chicks hatching and being lovingly cared for by their wonderful parents. Here’s hoping that fine weather, abundant deliveries of fish from Laddie, as well as NC0’s feeding skills, will see the little ones thrive.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22   NC0 - 23.3.22

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22   Egg #2 - 15.4.22   Egg #3 - 18.4.22

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22   Chick #2 - 21.5.22   Chick #3 - 23.5.22

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April can be found here here

1.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 4

5.5.22: Recorded Webinar Event on 28.4.22 (2hr 9m) >>> Live from the Loch

7.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series: Ospreys

8.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary Loch of the Lowes - Week 5

12.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> Two Ringed Intruders in One Morning!

14.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series – Egyptian Geese, Corvids, Canada Geese 

15.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 6 

16.5.22: Blog >>> Eggsellent Data from Loch of the Lowes!

18.5.22: Egg #1 - SWT YT Video >>> First signs of hatching

19.5.22: Blog >>> First chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

20.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Chick #1’s First Day at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

21.5.22: Blog >>> Second Osprey Chick Hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

23.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7 (An eggsxciting week!)

23.5.22: Blog >>> Third osprey chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

26.5.22: Blog >>> A Special Guest on the Nest – Intruding Osprey ‘Rothiemurchus’ visits Loch of the Lowes

27.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> NC0 Partakes In Some Windy Gymnastics

29.5.22: PT4 settles at Kielder. Blog by Joanna Dailey >>> A new resident at Nest 8

29.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8 (Chick-tastic and a Celebrity Guest!)

• I have been sitting waiting to see NC0 fly back but then Laddie got up and cam zoomed in on the eggs. Then a pair of feet appeared with a blue ring Cam zoomed out to reveal, of course, NC0
  • Intrusion going on.

I'll be a while, I'm going back to get-go to see what's gawn awn.

• NC0 has a stretch while waiting for Laddie, then later he turned up with a FISH - I hadn't seen him up to this point:

NC0 took over, a few minutes later she gave chase to an intruder - the blue-ringed intruder touched down on the nest:

Makes me laugh that they seem to look in the opposite direction from the target Rofl

• Many thanks for the fish delivery and intrusion vids, Scylla. What a very brief touchdown it was for the ringed intruder! I wonder if Lowes were able to catch sight of its ring number?

Laddie had taken over incubation duty at around 11:15, NC0 had been alarm calling but I could find an intruder..

NC0 returned at 12:33ish, cam zoomed in at the changeover 

Egg #3 is definitely at the front (white at each end and a strip of red around the centre). I'm pretty sure egg #2 is behind that (lots of red speckles and a splodge of red at the fatter end) and egg #1 is on the right (a creamier colour with a dark red splodge on one side at the fatter end)...but don't quote me! lol

©SWT/LotL

• I’m loving all of the closeups The Lowes are giving us just now. One of these times there will be a little chip in an egg! Fingers crossed

Just when I think the 2 ospreys couldn’t get any more beautiful, I’m proven wrong again. NC0, what a stunner. Those eyes, that beak, the detail in her feathers, the white ones that skirt onto her strong brown wings, almost like a lace like frilly petticoat. We are truly privileged to be able to see this. Heart eyes
  • There was a headless fish delivery at 19:31ish while the cam was zoomed in.

NC0 being vocal

The only capture I could get of the fish (far right)

Laddie and his precious eggs

©SWT/LotL

• 20:25 NC0 could be heard calling while on the birch (I assume she is on the birch!). Laddie rose from incubation and left the nest shortly after

Cam zoomed in on the eggs

Eggs have been alone for just over 10 minutes (20:37)

©SWT/LotL

• There was another zoom on the eggs - front #1, back left #3 and right #2 (IMO)

20:45 Still alone. There is distant calling continuing from NC0

©SWT/LotL

• 20:48 Phew! NCO has returned to the eggs! 

On her way back from the birch area, some vocalising from her

Down from the cam post less than a minute later

The eggs were alone for about 22 minutes

©SWT/LotL

• 22:12 It's raining and NC0 is hunkered down keeping the eggs warm and dry

©SWT/LotL