LOCH OF THE LOWES - MAY 2022

Link to March/April 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie (LM12) and NC0 have continued their excellent partnership from last season, not only with the incubation of their three beautiful eggs but also in defending the nest, and area, from intruding Ospreys.

During the middle of this month, all being well, we will witness three gorgeous chicks hatching and being lovingly cared for by their wonderful parents. Here’s hoping that fine weather, abundant deliveries of fish from Laddie, as well as NC0’s feeding skills, will see the little ones thrive.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22 (c12:00)   NC0 - 23.3.22 (18:14)

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22 (18:34)   Egg #2 - 15.4.22 (16:05)   Egg #3 - 18.4.22 (12:14)

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22 (10:26)   Chick #2 - 21.5.22 (03:24)  Chick #3 - 23.5.22 (19:46)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April can be found here here

1.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 4

5.5.22: Recorded Webinar Event on 28.4.22 (2hr 9m) >>> Live from the Loch

7.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series: Ospreys

8.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary Loch of the Lowes - Week 5

12.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> Two Ringed Intruders in One Morning!

14.5.22: Blog >>> Intruder Series – Egyptian Geese, Corvids, Canada Geese 

15.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Week 6 

16.5.22: Blog >>> Eggsellent Data from Loch of the Lowes!

18.5.22: Egg #1 - SWT YT Video >>> First signs of hatching

19.5.22: Blog >>> First chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

20.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Chick #1’s First Day at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

21.5.22: Blog >>> Second Osprey Chick Hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

23.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 7 (An eggsxciting week!)

23.5.22: Blog >>> Third osprey chick hatches at Loch of the Lowes!

26.5.22: Blog >>> A Special Guest on the Nest – Intruding Osprey ‘Rothiemurchus’ visits Loch of the Lowes

27.5.22: SWT YT Video >>> NC0 Partakes In Some Windy Gymnastics

29.5.22: PT4 settles at Kielder. Blog by Joanna Dailey >>> A new resident at Nest 8

29.5.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 8 (Chick-tastic and a Celebrity Guest!)

• She tries to pick the branch off her back but has to stand up to shake it off. Then NCO settles back on the eggs but not for long……

After a few intruder calls, NC0 is joined by a blue ringed female.

• I just watched all that, Glider! Wow, two within moments of each other (an unringed female had only just left the nest!)

• Sandra P said:

I just watched all that, Glider! Wow, two within moments of each other (an unringed female had only just left the nest!)

Yes, I’m trying to put up photos but there was so much happening, I’m forgetting the sequencing! I think I should have a notepad and pen beside me to remember the timeline! If only there was a clock on the webcam. Smiley

Just as Loch of the Lowes tried to zoom in on the darvic number, the intruder flew away! 

• Laddie was around nest defending and chasing but the intruder did manage to sit on the nest for a good few seconds.
  • I've got it, Glider

Not very clear

©SWT/LotL

• I've got some pics showing the unringed female landing just beforehand. It was at around 10:42ish

NC0 up and alarm calling

Unringed female over the nest

I think it's the same female who has intruder before, I recognise her head marking

Intruder left the nest

Distant chipping heard

As she headed off, Laddie must have heard NC0's alarm calls and came into view from the left side of the nest. The intruder, by this time, had headed over and past the birch area

Laddie went in that direction to give chase

That's when, moments after, the ringed female intruder came to the nest (also as shown in Glider's pics)

NC0 chipped and alarm called as she settle back on the eggs

Many thanks, Glider! Thumbsup

©SWT/LotL

• I need to check the time but the ringed female came back! NC0 chipped alarm called and Laddie could be heard doing the same in the distance

A clear view of the ring as Lowes zoomed in! Blue 167 (i can't find any info on the UK Osprey site)

Laddie must have been close to the nest to see her off 

Edit -  it was at around 11:44ish. Lots alarm calling could be heard after the intruder had flown as well as NC0 calling the same on the nest

©SWT/LotL

• Laddie came to the nest several minutes after, both were alert

I must get my dinner started. Will check through the rest of the footage afterwards! lol

©SWT/LotL

• Thank you so much Sandra, it all makes sense now. I didn’t realise the unringed intruder was there before the ringed one and thought it was Laddie returning to defend the nest! Good for you remembering the head markings and stating the story clearly, I just got a bit in the middle. Smile

Do you think the two blue ringed intruders are the same bird? The first sighting, I thought it looked like a 2 digit number.
  • Laddie delivered a headless fish at 14:35ish

Lots of squeaks from NC0 as she collected it

©SWT/LotL