Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 April 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a safe, serene week. 

It looks like the enormous, squawking Pileated Woodpecker has decided to nest right at the beginning of my driveway lane, across from my front door, this year!

• LINDA - SNAP!!!
    Love your cartoon. I may show OH - he has been attacking a shrub in our front garden. He is refusing to believe it is past its use-by date and keeps trimming here and there. <sigh> A trip to garden centre coming up.
  • “Mostly Dry” today – some sunshine. Sun is getting higher in the sky, and I am sitting here with the blinds up so I can watch the birds in the Willow Tree – mostly Goldfinches and Wood Pigeons! Did I mention first visit this year from Siskin pair earlier this week – love them? Mice were sulking over the weekend when E-E had cleaned up around feeders by the deck, but back to business as normal now. He did well with front garden clean-up yesterday afternoon and will be doing some more potting etc this afternoon – and hopefully I shall make a tour of inspection. Follow-up mowing this weekend, we hope.

LINDA – I hope the headache has cleared today.

ANNETTE – any recent news from your Daughter? I hope she is still recovering well.

RUSTY – thanks for heads up re Wetlands – probably within our limits for a visit southward sometime this year – mostly depends on finding fully accessible accommodation and facilities on the journeys. We want to visit the new Garden near Worsley too, so may be able to find somewhere near the two for different days on a short stopover.

LYNETTE – sounds like a large garden room/conservatory space, with room for two sets of side tables. You’ll be able to use it for church meetings and parties! Surely it is not just the roof which makes it a room – it will have walls of more solid construction than a conservatory. I hope you get your mobility equipment finalised soon.
  • A couple of days of uncertainty here .
    I attended for my Spring vaccine yesterday,only to find that the vaccine centre was closed due to flooding !
    I could go to a drop in clinic but hate waiting about ( for anything ) so will go online and reschedule.
    Granddaughters from Elgin were looking forward to coming to Inverness tomorrow. Older granddaughter Katie was to drive through to get them, bring them here for lunch at Frankie and Benny and then cinema. After that, a sleepover with me. Katie may lose her day off tomorrow due to staff sickness so it's all up in the air.
    Small things really.....
  • How annoying to find it closed, Heather. My OH came home buzzing with the fact that a friend had told him about a drop in place to get the booster done. Until I pointed out that I heard on TV that you have to wait 28 days after having covid, before you can have a booster.

We know several people now who have already had theirs.

The sun shone, alternating with heavy showers, all morning. I got the ironing done, including pressing a nice blouse I treated myself to recently. Yes, my headache disappeared, thank you, and I feel a lot better today. Let's hope I feel "normal" soon. (Nearly stopped coughing). I'm still religiously taking my iron pills & think they've helped a lot - maybe my system just wasn't absorbing the iron I did eat. We are now preparing for Easter as Eldest son, wife and Amber are coming for a few days. Let's hope the sun comes out.
  • Thought you might like these friendly trees!!

• Morning all:

AQ;  When I lived in Long Beach we used to have police helicopters circling overhead but nothing here although we are under the 'small plane' flight path for the airport, but fortunately not the jets.  They keep adding flights and folks living in the flight path are beginning to complain loudly about the increase.  The jets start at 5:40 (Santa Barbara to LA for connections beyond), then there's a string of them that take off before 7 a.m. - a function of being on the West Coast and three hours behind the East Coast with a 5 hour flight say, to NY.

OG; Thought of you the other day when I read - somewhere on the BBC website - about a delivery of 'disabled toilets' and I couldn't help wondering if they'd disconnected the flush mechanisms or something....  :-)   Hope you can arrange a trip with all the amenities soon.

Heather:  Hope the visit with kids goes ahead...

Lindybird Glad to read that your chronic tiredness seems to have disappeared once and for all.  Maybe a combination of various things but good that the iron supplements seem to have helped a lot.

Tree people are here today to thin and trim our three olives....where's the checkbook...

• Just had a reread - sometimes I whip through the posts and miss things.

OG - No, I don't think you mentioned the siskins. Nice visitors to have. I hope things are progressing well in the garden. I've got all my fingers crossed for you, that your furniture & carpets now all arrive on time.

My Youngest finally got his new worktops fitted in the kitchen, so now all they need is some tiling doing to finish the kitchen they planned three years ago, and began as he put in the new units over 2 years ago!
  • Very nice news re our new Supreme Court Justice. Hooray!
  • I just wrote a long reply and then, too late, discovered i had been signed out for some reason!!! Deep breath - here I go again!
    OG - some friends of mine visited the gardens at Worsley last year and were rather disappointed. They felt they were still a “work in progress” Mind you, they have had another year to develop since then. Lovely that you have siskins. Such pretty birds. I don’t get them but I do have a little flock of goldfinches which visits regularly.
    HEATHER - I do hope the family visit can go ahead.
    LINDY -I love the friendly trees.
    I have been birdwatching again today in a woodland about 30 minutes away. It was very damp!!! Strangely beautiful though especially when the sun briefly appeared and made the waters of the small river sparkle. We saw 2 dippers. The wood anemones are out as are the lesser celandines. The wild garlic leaves are everywhere and the occasional bud is appearing, One or 2 brave bluebells were emerging but I don’t think it will be long until there is a carpet of them there.
  • ANNETTE – We’ve had a “disabled” toilet recently. Darn thing decided not to refill the cistern. Not a great problem as we have 2 toilets and I remember growing up in a family of 7 with only one. Problem was to decide which plumber to call; last one who came to fix a leaking tap, came up with lots of other repairs & upgrades, plumbing and electrical, including replacing hot water service (it’s still working) & power board (ditto). He wanted to hard wire the smoke alarm. . . without noticing we had two! All in all the estimates were some $8000. We said we’ll think about it and please fix the tap. Also I have been reluctant to let strangers inside when our covid numbers are reaching record numbers. However S-i-l dropped by and fixed the problem.

Beautiful autumn day. Some cleaning, casserole in oven, another small patch of weeds cleared. Wot, Friday already???