Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 April 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a safe, serene week. 

It looks like the enormous, squawking Pileated Woodpecker has decided to nest right at the beginning of my driveway lane, across from my front door, this year!

• A shame that EE had to turn out to deliver the roof racks, but the Ukraines needs are greatest at present, as I'm sure everyone would agree. I've just sent for some lapel badges in blue & yellow, to show my support. Do wish we could help in a more practical way than just sending donations.

The rain began with a vengeance after lunch, so it was just as well that I hadn't got around to putting out the laundry! My OH had just mowed the lawn. The sun is trying to shine again now - typical Spring weather!

I had a cracking headache this morning, so fingers crossed I've not now caught this other thing which seems to be going around. I'm beginning to sound like a hypochondriac! I took some paracetamol which helped, and realised that I've gone from someone who once only took about 2 headache pills a year, to someone who has just used up an entire packet!

• Lindybird: I was wondering about those parcels to Ukraine in re are they delivering them into Ukraine or are they for the refugees in neighboring countries. I think donations to the most highly rated organizations are okay in that the folks on the ground know what's needed most. Re Ukraine, I love Flightradar24.com and when a plane goes overhead I often look to see where it's going (1:50 p.m. everyday there's a nonstop from LA to Tokyo that I could set my watch if I had a watch!). Anyway, There's an option on the app that you can swipe down to see the 'most-watched' flights. These days, the most watched are all military surveillance flights flying back and forth just outside Ukraine's borders. They include U.S., UK, NATO, Italian, Swedish and Polish military planes plus a super high tech and very menacing-looking drone called the Global Hawk (cost of $222 million - gasp!) that can stay up for 30 hours at an altitude of 60,000 ft. That and the surveillance flights can track ground movements with dazzling accuracy and then transmit that info to 'friendly' forces on the ground. What's interesting (I was reading on the site's blog) is that governments can block any tracking of those planes, but in this instance they are letting the whole world see who's up there and what they're doing (although who knows what else is up there). Meanwhile, of course, there's all that awful misery down below....

Going through a ridiculous hot spell here; fled to the beach for a wonderfully refreshing half hour last evening - you could smell the ocean, which I swear has healing properties.... Just back from a very early walk and about to sort out the world....
  • Not much going on here today so I have had to resort to cleaning the house!!!!
    OG - my local reserve is Burton Mere Wetlands on the Wirral. I always find it so relaxing going there. You might be interested to know that all hides and paths are fully accessible and they have a mobility scooter people can borrow. I also find that everyone is really friendly and helpful there and willing to share sightings.
    AQ. I am a fan of flight radar too. I sometimes, like you, look to see where the flights overhead are going. Quite a few seem to be coming in from the Atlantic heading for London Heathrow,
    LINDY - sorry you had a headache. Not good after everything else. Maybe we are all stressed about the situation in Ukraine and the financial situation too,
  • Rusty: Hi there. It's me (in California) who was blathering on about flightradar24. AQ is in Adelaide, Down Under. Yes, lots of flights to Heathrow. I grew up in Watford Herts. and have been on several of them when visiting family in Milton Keynes area and my sister in lovely Lincolnshire... :-) I look up at the planes flying overhead and wonder who is sitting by the windows looking down and why they're going where they're going...
  • AQ - not sure what the difference is , can only assume that if it is a all glass/polycarbonate roof its a conservatory but if the roof is either insulated (as I have gone for so it looks more enclosed) or a slate roof, it becomes more of an added on room - just my theory but could be wrong.

Looked at some side tables for the garden room yesterday and ordered 2 lots for next day delivery and boy did they arrive. Quite heavy, they are made out of acacia wood from India and look very nice now open and on display. Very pleased with them Just got to wait for the furniture to arrive now which won't be till next week and then transformation complete. Will post pics of it when finished.

Talking of dentists never went to a school dentist as we had a family dentist which mum always took me too. Mind you it was a busride away from where we lived but he was so good.
  • Just looked at two of the nests and it is sounding quite blowy out there. Weather here has been mixed with a strong breeze and they say its getting stronger overnight but should die down a bit towards the end of the week. Noticed the snow on the nest at LG yesterday, hope it didn't stay long.

Lady from the Falls Team had to cry off today as she wasn't well so a colleague rang and arranged for the same time next week. They are supposed to be calibrating my walker . Also still awaiting the half step and bath board so will chase up next week when she comes.

Take care all.
  • Good Morning. Gusty here, and wet: high winds predicted but my OH has still optimistically gone off to play golf.

Annette, I was just reading about a man in San Diego who found a 7ft python in his couch cushions! Someone's lost pet, they think. I think Lynette is correct about the conservatory description - when they have a solid insulated roof but lots of large windows, they are called garden rooms. Lynette, Good to hear that your plans are all coming right and I hope you can enjoy sitting in your new room.

When I mentioned donations to Ukraine I meant monetary ones -- there were a few efforts around here to send warm clothes and meds etc, in the early days of the war but in these events I always send money to DEC (Disasters Emergency Committee) as you know it will be used effectively. They actually began to plead with people not to send more items as it took way too much manpower to sort and distribute it.
  • Donations of cash can be better than goods. The experience here after bushfires & floods has been that too many people donate useless things when people who have lost so much and really need basics. (Ball gowns not required!) Those in charge of relief agencies are best at choosing whether food, clothing, medicines, etc are needed and in the case of Ukraine weapons. I’ve seen pictures of huge teddy bears for children; I would think a smaller cuddly toy would be better for a confused child.

Dau had been helping car-pool a child to school after she recovered from covid & her parents were still in quarantine. Now the child has caught covid again a few weeks later, worse than last time. Poor kiddo. Health people were surprised at second positive test.

ANNETTE – Wow! I have checked flightradar and discovered lots of busy little planes dashing about our state. . .  to Coober Pedy, to Port Lincoln, Ceduna, Port Pirie, etc. I saw one larger “plane” which was the Singapore to Melbourne flight. Amazingly its flight path passed over Adelaide. One night I shall check to find out who is taking off at 10.45 pm, sometimes later and getting very close to our 11 pm curfew. Although we are so close to airport, we are not on the runway flight paths and we hardly notice the planes. Helicopters are very different. There are so many copters involved in car chases or circling suburbs to catch crooks. I suppose there are also Flying Docs and News reporters but it is the circling police that get a wee bit trying.

LYNETTE – Thanks. I shall take more notice next time either conservatory or garden room are shown on “Escape to the Country”. The channel recently added (up-to-date???) 2019 episodes to the usual 2016.

• AQ -- I see we posted at the same time, about the same subjects!