Technical test thread 2011-forever

I thought I might bump up this thread which goes back to 2011 (it's been bumped before) and was started by the wonderful Tiger

It contains all sorts of useful info on technical problems, handy hints for inserting photos and links and, latterly, the fact that we seem to get 'notifications' that we can't get rid of (I'm up to 6).

If nothing else, another trip down memory lane.

• Hi tiger, click the circle with your tiger picture, click settings, scroll down until you get the box to add or change your signature and save.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Is there going to be problems with pagination within a thread?  On a very big thread I think that threads may be hard to navigate.

• That has already proved to be the case Tiger, requests have been made several times to re-instate numbered pages and supposedly taken on board by 'official rspb' ... this new system is almost completely unworkable for this forum and the best way forward is to totally revert to our old system as nothing on the upgrade improves anything for us IMHO!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• There was an easy way to navigate via the page system. It was a question of knowing how to do it. This is now almost like Facebook but in Facebook they now have a search function. 

• Agreed.  Please bring back the pagination; it makes for much easier navigation back and forth...

• What a mess here!!  Bad enough trying to find my way around but I'm devastated seeing changes to my capturing app!!

Suppose the only consolation is that I've come online sooner this year so perhaps time to get to grip before the osprey arrives.

SCYLLA - hopefully you will see this post (or anyone else that uses Greenshot).

When on earth did they change it? It was a super little capturing app and now I find I cannot set an image capture or even record.

What are you using?    Help as I need to find something   xx

• @Karen

Latest Windows release version:

Greenshot-RELEASE-1.2.10.6

09 Aug 2017

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I hasn't changed for a very long time!  As it's free and doesn't spy or use ads, I don't suppose they can afford to live on it.  I sent a donation when I installed it on this laptop, don't think of that with some of these dependable free apps - like IrfanView, PhotoShop's very pared-down stand-in, for instance.

I had trouble getting Greenshot to work on Windows 11, it just wouldn't respond, plus Windows had hijacked the Print Screen key for Snipping Tool - but was able to disable that somewhere in settings, after much googling.

I remember opening it from the System Tray a few times and eventually it sprang to normal life.

You have my deepest sympathy, I don't know what I'd do without it - Greenshot is so user-friendly once you've set up your own keys and folder.  It doesn't have bells 'n whistles like some other free screenshooters, but that makes it a short learning curve.

Please keep trying, I do hope it works out Heartpulse

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla - preference seem fine, can designate output folder, short cut keys ok but before I could set an imaging window on whatever I wanted to capture.  I just had to click on a button also I could record.  Cant do this now.   But ...  seems strange for these features to have disappeared so I'll play around and see what I can do.    Dread the thought of having to revert to the snipping tool Slight smile 

• I could set an imaging window on whatever I wanted to capture.  I just had to click on a button also I could record. 

I'm not understanding "set an imaging window" - I use Shift+PrtScr to set an area, then just PrtScr to repeat-capture the same area again.

The word "record" has me stumped, too. 

I might be getting past it, Karen, there's quite a lot (more than usual) that I'm not understanding lately Confounded

IMAGICAT