Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 March 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY MARCH EQUINOX!

The equinox is Sunday, March 20.

I wish all of you and your families health, strength, and a joyful spring (autumn for AQ). Stay safe, friends. 

Photo: Marsh Marigold Wildflowers
Shenandoah National Park, US National Park Service
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• It's complicated, Heather, without a doubt. I heard about a man offering a house out in the wilds of Devon to refugees, but he was turned down by some organisers as of course, if there are going to be children, they need schools. I think we all feel guilty with our comfortable lives, knowing that there are others in Europe who are now struggling, having lost everything familiar to them. It could be us. So sad.

Continuing on the subject of charity, I think the recent huge total raised by Comic Relief (edit: over £42 Million!) was a big shock even to the organisers - they knew that everyone had already been putting their hands in their pockets for the relief of the war victims but the Great British Public still did their best for another worthy cause.

• Morning all:  First off, I messaged Clare and she and Limpy have been feeling a bit out of sorts with the world (as are we all) but are fine and I suspect we'll hear from them and get to enjoy Clare's fab photos in the not-too-distant future.

OG:  Did you guys ever get the replacement recliners?

AQ: Here's to a lovely cool Autumn for Adelaide.  We are already short of water and had barely any this winter (all the storms are going north of us thanks to La Nina), so not looking forward to this summer and fall....

Lindybird:  Lovely photos.  

Heather: Local schools here are also facing a staffing shortage.  Not to mention the hospitals.  I shall have to listen for Outlook.  'Which refugees?' is a topic here, at least among my friends. I'll have to find that Radio 4 program. In this case I'm sure it's because we can more easily identify with Europeans who were living lives very similar to ours before they had all hell unleashed upon them. And of course, Europe experienced the same kind of bombing and brutality not so very long ago, so it's all way too close to home in terms of history and geography .   They say Putin is paranoid about Covid, but I wonder if those meetings where his aides are seated far far away is because he's afraid somebody's going to assassinate him.  Which raises the question: Where are all the assassins when we need them!?  :-)   Of course, there's the 'devil you know' argument, but I can't imagine too many devils worse than Putin right now, though I'm sure they're out there waiting for the right opportunity....   We've had a hint of that ourselves not too recently.

• And now for something completely different:  Our Western Redbud tree approaching full blossom, but the photo doesn't do it any justice.  :-(

• Beautiful tree, Annette. Thanks for news of Clare & Limpy - Hey, you two, you're missed!!

I guess that actually, none of us are the same people we were two years ago......

I think that OG and EE have been told they'll have to wait a few weeks for their new chairs.

We've had our quiet day: my OH is slowly improving, whilst I'm behind him and getting worse, yet. Don't know what to eat or what I fancy - have had soups and toast, mostly. We both sat down after lunch and so he turned off the phone so we would not be disturbed -- however, he forgot it for over 3 hours!
  • Thank you Diane for starting us off and for the beautiful spring flowers picture.

Lindybird - your pics of your spring flowers were also very welcome and uplifting.. Will be glad when I can get the garden done and new planting in place then maybe I'll be able to appreciate the garden again.

OG - hope you managed your garden visit and the supervising ! Hope you are feeling much better and that the spring weather we are having is helping. Certainly brightens our spirits with the sunshine even if there is a cool breeze.

Annette - hope all is OK with you and your dau is making good progress. Thanks for messaging Claire - hope they begin to feel better soon.

Yes , we are all feeling it for Ukraine but sensible housing has to be at the fore because it is mainly women and children. Do hope that those offering homes in the Uk have thought things through and that there is access for the children to continue schooling. Not sure what the long term answer is.

Wow, Lindybird, that is a good total for Comic Relief. At least it will be put to good use both here and abroad.

Went out for lunch yesterday with son and his wife to a lovely pub in a local village. Meal was delightful , almost haute cuisine, not too much , not too little. I actually managed to eat it all and a pud as well. This was my treat from son as he is away next weekend. Understand dau is taking me out for lunch , so two treats, my I'm being spoiled. Still waiting to go and look at adjustable beds which won't be till the Easter hols as they don't open at weekends which is a shame.

Thanks for your news so far.
  • Good Morning. Another sunny Monday here. It certainly helps lift the spirits, Lynette, as you say. Glad you enjoyed your meal out, what a treat.

I'm going to try a little housework today so that everything doesn't "go to pot" as we used to say. We're considering going to Wales next weekend for our recovery so must work towards that, now.
  • Love your garden LINDA. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

Miraculous appearance overnight – 2 crocus flowers. Perhaps autumn is not far. Cool change promised tomorrow, expecting a mere 26 C.

• We always serve promptly - no matter how long it takes. (restaurant sign)

A homeowner employed a handyman and gave him a list of jobs to do. When the owner came home, only items 1, 3, and 5 were done. It turned out that the handyman only did odd jobs.

If you want a thing done well. . . Do It Yourself.

• I see I forgot to say, that I took another test and have proved Positive now. Not at all surprised, as have been coughing and sneezing for several days. We told our neighbours to keep away from us, & will try to live a quiet life. My OH is going to take another test in the week to see how he is going.

AQ - Hope you can look forward to cooler temps soon!
  • ANNETTE - thanks for contacting Clare and Limpy - glad they are as okay as any of us can be in the current world situation. You asked above about our replacement chairs - they are due next week - 30th March. What a beautiful tree - and such a nice shape too.

LINDA - I obviously missed some news - I hadn't realised that you also have covid - hope you will both recover very soon. Do take care trying to do housework today – and don’t rush the recovery for next weekend – be kind to yourself.

LYNETTE - thanks for the kind thoughts - I am still hoping that I might be a bit better when the aforementioned chairs arrive and I can sit comfortably - can hardly walk at all right now, even with the frame I have to do a kind of sideways shuffling movement as I can't put any weight through my right knee. Garden time yesterday was enjoyable - have to find the positives. Pleased your lunch was so enjoyable. I hope you will find a suitable choice of bed, and also get your garden sorted.
    We reduced our stacks of plant pots by about 60% yesterday, so have a huge sackful to take to garden centre which recycles them. We also have a huge shopping list for Wednesday there! OH mowed first half of front lawn Sunday afternoon, and is doing second half now. Trouble is, first mow always signifies more to come!