LLYN BRENIG

Many thanks to AG  who wrote this preface to the Llyn Brenig thread for us (below)

Llyn Brenig is a reservoir on the border between Denbighshire and County Conwy in North Wales. It is managed by Welsh Water;  the osprey project is a partnership between them and North Wales Wildlife Trust.

One pair of ospreys raised a single chick here each year from 2018-2020. Neither of this pair returned in 2021, when the nest was taken over by 2 Scottish birds, LJ2 (male) and LM6 (female), both 2018 chicks. The nest was vandalised the night after LM6 had laid her first egg; while the two could not continue to breed they did stay close to the site until normal migration time.

A new nest has been erected in 2022 with additional security and a streaming camera is in place. A new hide has also been built.

Links to

North Wales Wildlife Trust Page https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/days-out/ospreys-llyn-brenig

Welsh Water Page https://llynbrenig.com/llyn-brenig-osprey/

Osprey Project Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/brenigospreyproject

Friends of Llyn Brenig Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsofLlynBrenigBlue24

Llyn Brenig YouTube Channel for Live Stream https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_OrcBilBcFmDQVGgrk2ng

• Unknown said:
    Hi Scylla, thanks you have got the right incident - the projectile fish arrives at about 1minute 12seconds into this clip.

The papers have picked up the story 

www.dailypost.co.uk/.../video-captures-mysterious-moment-fish-23889650

• PLease can anyone tell me what happened to Blue 24 and HR ?
    I just hope it's good news but whatever, I'd like to know, Thank you
  • Cirrus, neither Blue 24 nor HR7 were seen at Llyn Brenig last year, and as far as I'm aware have not been seen anywhere since they left on migration in 2020 after the TV show kerfuffle. LM6 and LJ2 took up occupation last year, and have returned this year despite the vandalism on the nest pole the night after she laid their first egg of 2021. Let's hope this pair have a nice straightforward season.

• Thank you AG , I really appreciate your response, I shall just have to hope someone somewhere will spot them (preferably as a couple) and that both still grace this earth, Yes, so far so very good for LM6 and LJ2.
  • The Llyn Brenig Live stream has been down for a couple of days but is new working again on this link. Still looks a bit jumpy to me. 

• Not a lot to report on this nest - all seems to be going along OK, remembering that they are both only 4 years old and effectively 1st time parents. LM6 (f) and LJ2(m) are working out their roles; she has been food soliciting quite regularly and he seems to now understand that bringing a fish will get him a chance to do some incubating.

I'm hoping to make a trip to Brenig after hatching to try out the new photography hide.
  • Further update on FB from the project on nest security - they certainly seem to have the technology. I wonder if this technology might become more widely used in nest protection? The overnight watch seems to be working

"As well as the featured Sentinel we featured earlier this month, we also have a Dragon thermal scope and a Phoenix thermal scope. This equipment is usually reserved for the police and military and have been kindly loaned to us by local company Qioptiq. They are great for identifying any warm heat sources such as body heat and have a range of, wait for it, several kilometres!

Qioptiq has also lent us a Kite night vision sight – it’s got the kind of range and recognition capability that any bird of prey would be proud of."

• LJ2 shouting for breakfast but think she may have a bit of a wait given the awful weather

Llyn Brenig

• Unknown said:

Further update on FB from the project on nest security - they certainly seem to have the technology. I wonder if this technology might become more widely used in nest protection? The overnight watch seems to be working

"As well as the featured Sentinel we featured earlier this month, we also have a Dragon thermal scope and a Phoenix thermal scope. This equipment is usually reserved for the police and military and have been kindly loaned to us by local company Qioptiq. They are great for identifying any warm heat sources such as body heat and have a range of, wait for it, several kilometres!

Qioptiq has also lent us a Kite night vision sight – it’s got the kind of range and recognition capability that any bird of prey would be proud of."

What great news AG . Thanks for all this info. very interesting indeed !

• Llyn Brenig have gone to a double camera shot, showing the nest and the perch. Overnight the perch view changed to looking at the while length of the platform pole, presumably for security. The lumpy stream is unlikely to improve with this change.

Some images taken from the new photography hide were put in the FB group yesterday - looks good. Need to get my b-i-l and our cameras down there after hatching, which should start around Thursday this week.