LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I think I have alluded to this before, but could it be she wants him to react. All in preparation for three hungry chicks and mum to feed.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Mistle must have a sore throat by now with all her calling!

Mistle moves the furniture

To build up 'this' side

14.46 she flew off

14.47 Axel lands on the perch

Mistle lands and resumes the furniture replacement

14.51  another successful mating

He takes off, and I assume he is watching him

Is he sky dancing - with no fish?

He lands, and barely mantles this time!

Mistle's calling reached a crescendo, and Axel flies

Mistle had been quiet since then, sitting, watching, sometimes intently.  

She has started calling again, intermittently

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

• I also think Axel ate another fish, possibly in her sight. He was feaking on the furniture during one of his last visits...

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• While she's busy giving him an earache, he's busy trying to move a stick while he is standing on the other side of the Y, lol.

• SheilaFE said:
    I think I have alluded to this before, but could it be she wants him to react. All in preparation for three hungry chicks and mum to feed.

A weird coincidence you wrote this when you did....... around the same time I was at work reading Poole's latest book and he says exactly the same thing............ females, especially if they have not bred before are 'testing' - science has shown th!at females who are well fed at this strage during courtship = youngsters who get a lot of food when they hatch! You are in great company with your thoughts and behavioural explanations Sheila 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Such praise, thank you CRinger. I am sure I've seen somewhere conjecture that, when the left LG last year, they were at another nest, a badly made one. Good practice. But didn't breed. It would be nice if the VC were able to confirm. I'm not sure whether Fergus has the time now to follow us here as he did last year. He would occasionally give an update or some lovely snippet.
    Mistle is currently on the nest, food soliciting! Axel is not within sight.

• But as sure as **** SHE can see him!

• Except that now she's gone quiet, so perhaps he is finally fishing for her.
    Edit: Wrong, I see he's returned fishless.

• Unknown said:
    Except that now she's gone quiet, so perhaps he is finally fishing for her.

OR

Perhaps a little less importantly, choosing his latest stick. Joy

• The scene until one flew a minute ago:

IMAGICAT