LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 21:22 mating by ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, candlelight................ the first egg is imminent!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• It was a good sized fish, and probably equal to at least 2 or 3 of the Perch supplied at Llyn Clewdog, so she is getting plenty of fish.

Richard B

• After the mating referred to by CRinger, 21.22 Mistle flew off I assume for the night. I was reassured to see them together this evening. She was no longer calling after her evening fish , they were quiet in their company.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• She's on the nest, yelling, so I guess no fish yet. I hope he brings one sooner than he did yesterday.
  • Unknown said:
    It was a good sized fish, and probably equal to at least 2 or 3 of the Perch supplied at Llyn Clewdog, so she is getting plenty of fish.

Thank you Richard. And about time Axel  -  I'm fed up with you,

• Tuning in at approx. 12.54.50
    Axel coy mantling on the nest. Eventually Mistle, though not food soliciting, makes a motion to peck him, a couple of times before he flies off,

returns to mate unsuccessfully (sideways),

then flies off. She begins to call as he returns. He is now standing on the other side of the nest. as she solicits.

He's flown and she is currently quiet.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Unknown said:
    It was a good sized fish, and probably equal to at least 2 or 3 of the Perch supplied at Llyn Clewdog, so she is getting plenty of fish.

Thank you for the comparison, Richard.  It's not her hunger that bothers me, it's her waiting and waiting, her not knowing but hopeful, her disappointment hour after hour.  How's that for anthropomorphism?

There's just been what looked like a successful* mating.  Will he step up if she lays?  Will she lay while he's only providing suppers?

*I'd better replay that, in view of what CC has reported - I was glancing at distant VLC, which is rather pale and small.

IMAGICAT

• With reference to CC's mating comment, I did wonder whether there might have been an inoffensive intruder around.  Mistle appeared to mantle when Axel arrived, which is unusual.  They both mantled before Axel attempted to mate - I thought it failed, but could be wrong.  It's been very  quiet today, even when Mistle was calling.  

04.45 Mistle landed on the nest

Edit:  I have had another look at the possible intruder incident, and yes there was one around.  Mistle was on the perch, and she started mantling before Axel returned

12.53  When Axel landed and Mistle dropped down from the perch, they were both mantling.  Intruder around?

13.04  After the 'mating' Axel returned to the nest, and ignored Mistle's calls!

13.05 Axel left, she watched him go

13.30 still alone

Up to the perch for a preen

13.37  Mistle flew to the left had log of the old nest  13.50 she is still there

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• @SheilaFE Yes, it looks like that must have been an intruder, just before I started watching. But also, Mistle seemed rather annoyed at Axel, though she was quiet, as she pecked at him twice.

SheilaFE said:
    13.37  Mistle flew to the left had log of the old nest  13.50 she is still there

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• It has been interesting viewing this past few days, despite what looks to be slow fish deliveries Mistle is still sticking to the nest and Axel. I can but hope for the best for this new pairing.