LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I've now caught up with all your posts up to CATLADY's.  I think IAN's post from BOPP (Bottom Of Previous Page) is worth bringing to notice, for all our ongoing education - I know you only said it was "unusual" for femaleto eat on nest, SHEILA:

Ian S said:
    Regarding the female eating on the nest and that being a sign she has not mated before. Dorcha (Loch Arkaig nest two) ate fish on the nest yesterday, but she successfully had chicks with Louis last year. Obviously one example doesn't disprove the norm, but I thought I would mention it. Ian

This was Episode One of this morning's proceedings up until Axel flies off with fish - after hours of toil over the sound I got one enhanced double-squeal as she landed and only one snatch of skydancing:

IMAGICAT

• I've got Glaslyn and LG displaying in VLC on the side of a laptop screen, and they're both showing exactly the same scene :)))

IMAGICAT

• Good to see they're still together. He needs to go get another fish. I hope she's not just 'passing through'......
  • Axel has gone up in my estimation - more practise certainly required mating, but he certainly thinks there will be eggs - he is scraping out a cup like there's no tomorrow. Watch out Australia!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Axel wason the perch and flew down to the nest to mate When he tried earlier this afternoon, he landed on her back sideways but this time he was in a much better position but she still wouldn't have it and tipped him off
  • There's lots and lots of activity for me to catch up on, but the cam caught my eye earlier and it turned out to be mating attempts on the campost after BTO* had gone up there - and if we didn't know that she was rejecting Axel 100% we might have thought them successful - but they did glitch the cam:

*BTO - You'll never believe where my mind has prematurely leapt - BTO = Betty = Lilibet for the Queen's Platinum Jublee and the resurgence of the historic, iconic LG nest.

Oh dear.

IMAGICAT

• I love the idea, Scylla, particularly in the Jubilee year, but I think Elizabeth sounds much more regal, if she does turn out to be the next Queen at LG!!  

Don't forget we are not the only folk who think about names.  Folk on Chat are getting exercised about it too.  I pointed out that Axel was only an informal name chosen by the Forum, pending a decision by LG, which has stuck, and is used by the Team.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    Axel was only an informal name chosen by the Forum, pending a decision by LG, which has stuck, and is used by the Team.

I think that LG HQ may have adopted Axel, as they mentioned it in their Facebook post the other day.  You would think it might suit, after Odin and Fenrir (OMG the memories!).

As tor Elizabeth, I wouldn't choose that because it's an "ordinary" girl's name and we don't usually call them by "real" names - ugh! that reminds me of George, more OMG memories Rofl 

I still can't do my rayzoomay of the day so far, just not up to it I'm afraid.

BTW - maybe I should have made prematurely big and red Smile 

IMAGICAT

• Intruder on nest! TOO MANY Ospreys!