LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• The garden calls for a while! SYL

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• @Sheila That is what met my eyes this morning and I wonder the same thing! Why is she eating on the nest??? Axel seems keen to show he what an excellent catch he is, dear boy. Fish, nestcupping, mantling...

SheilaFE said:
    why she is holding on to the fish on the nest.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Not ready to mate. She gave him a half-hearted peck while he was up there.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• I do hope this pair succeed. It would be great for the team at LG after so many years of disappointment
  • I've seen the development on the nest but am starting from where I left off and am devastated to see this:

CRinger said:
    SYLLA: You haven't by any chance got or could get a clip of him scooting off the nest after giving an alarm call? I think it was 18:10 yesterday.

Because it was there, I did extract it - I can't think what happened, but it's now totally lost because Recycle Bin has emptied out all but Starr Ranch, Brenig and stupid shopping lists from months ago - and I can't get it from rollback - too late and WildlifeWndows don't save the previous in 12-hour clips like Peter Carnyx used to.

I have to put it behind me because I went from sky-high to 100-fathoms deep when I checked my clips.  Sorry Cry

IMAGICAT

• Apologies not needed! I was worried Axel had been scared off by human intruders - but now he is back! AND in some style!............ Others have commented on the female eating on the nest - NEVER seen this before = this is her first breeding attempt. SHE also has lessons to learn.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Hello CC, lovely to see you!!  I ought to have turned off my tablet as well as my laptop,, but had to laugh as he brought in yet more twiggy sticks.  She is dragging that poor fish around the nest, through all the sticks, and at one point she moved a largish stick away.  Housework required and a feminine touch.

12.37 Axel has flown, BTO holds on to the fish balancing precariously on the debris.

Another more stick that twig arrives and he mantles as she plods around the back of the nest.  She is much more relaxed that he is.  Ah!!  sensible lady had taken her fish to the perch, and  large poop, before returning to the nest LOL!  Very polite.

12.40 something spooked them, intruder perhaps. 

BTO took off - was it a female intruder?

Followed by Axel.

12.41 She returned, still carrying the fish

12:44  Andy MacNab  AX6 chased off a goshawk yesterday and there is a breeding pair of WTEs in the area.

Axel is back with more sticks, and more attempted matings, but she definitely isn't ready yet.

12.48  She is on the nest alone at present.

Bye

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

• Regarding the female eating on the nest and that being a sign she has not mated before. Dorcha (Loch Arkaig nest two) ate fish on the nest yesterday, but she successfully had chicks with Louis last year. Obviously one example doesn't disprove the norm, but I thought I would mention it. Ian
  • Interesting, Ian. But it is unusual, if nothing else for peace and quiet!!
    She appears to have finished the fish, more sticks have been brought in, and more failed mating attempts. She is calling, occasionally, and quietly - she barely opens her beak when she 'talks' to him! Another stick, and a quiet chatter!

Perhaps she is trying to find out if he will be a good food provider for her potential chicks!

• Axel left, came back after a short time away, with yet another twiggy stick! She was quiet to begin with and her beak hardly moved when speaking to him but now has found her voice now and is giving him some ear ache for fish. They really seem very comfortable together, I so hope and pray that this is going to work out.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.