LOCH GARTEN - MARCH / APRIL 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front but all delighted to be able to watch the NEW nest on the NEW cam. Thanks to all for the hard work erecting / installing both. You derserve a sucessful breeding pair this year for your efforts.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Thank you, 25mac Slight smile

Here's the second visit - no preamble this time, and he spent a long time on the perch:

(I'm having to reboot again, which is a major deal with all the progs that need to be shut down and re-set-up,so I've set VLC on another laptop to record this cam but it's not reliable, freezes a lot... so, fingers crossed.  I reckon Intel is stymying me cos it wan't to do the 10th update in about a month!)

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Thanks for listening, Hoppy Hank  

This is AX6 Axel's first visit only, but we get a lovely clear view of the ring number:

https://youtu.be/a61reV5NBos

We'd better have a ring snap:

Yowl !!!  I forgot to do the sound !!!  

STUNNING close up of that ring Scylla. No doubt about it. Mission Control NEVER lets us down!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• You are too kind, CRINGER, but I hope your praise is not a hostage to fortune (mine) Stuck out tongue I'm feeling very technically vulnerable these days.

IMAGICAT

• I've scrolled through the events.  I thought he looked very at home, even trying to half-heartedly to move a large 'log'.  He spent a lot of time looking around.  

A timescale of events

12 April              08.39          Osprey flew over the nest out towards the old cam tree, in front of the old nest.

08.41.06    Osprey landed on cam post with a tweet

08.41.31    And down to the nest rim.

Showed a brief glance of  Blue ring.

08.44.41    Showed his Blue Darvic, AX6 

It was thought that Odin came from Scandinavia, this his name.   Axel  - Axel (also Aksel) is a Scandinavian, German, French, and Dutch masculine given name.

In Estonia, Denmark, and Norway the spelling Aksel is more common

08.44.50    Flew to the far perch

09.03          Flew from the perch to the left

09.05.31    AX6 returned to the perch from the back right.

09.33.47    Dropped down to right side of the nest, pecked at a large stick – tentative nestorising

09.34.33    AX6 flew off to the right

NB lovely looking osp on LA Nest 1!  I can't keep up!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    I've scrolled through the events

Did you by any chance miss the video that I personally BOPS'd?  I just had a look and your name isn't appended to Likes, and you have such a generous record for that Stuck out tongue 

I'm only mentioning it because you've gone to such trouble with the chronology, and I'm sure you will forgive me if I've misjudged Kissing heart 

BTW, I msgd LG on their Facebook page about the origin of Axel's name and including the video - but it's nowhere to be seen.  Since FB redesigned itself many months ago I'm even loster with it than I used to be :(((

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

You are too kind, CRINGER, but I hope your praise is not a hostage to fortune (mine) I'm feeling very technically vulnerable these days.

YOU are feeling technically vulnerable????

I feel like stone age man in your prescence - always desperate for amd asking for a SLO MO replay without a clue how to do it!!!

• Its a shame Axel has not been back......... but hecould wellbe checking out the area and familiarising himself again with his environs.

My wish for the morning is to switch on the camera just before dawn and hear the distinctive 'peep' of a male Osprey performing a skydance above the nest. Henry (where is she BTW?) has a birthday today and she will testify that 'our' male Henry was a master in this art. When Ospreys were few and far between in Scotland it was the only way for a male to make his presence felt and say to a female - come check out my des res. A display complete with fish is an added attraction for a female looking for a good providor.
    I DO hope that Axel does the same. In the still dawn air the unmistakeable flight and sound can be seen for up to 10 km away by an Osprey.
    Come on Axel!
    Do your stuff!
    Make my day!! - its about time the good folk at LG enjoyed the thrill of some young in the nest again.

• Sorry if I am behind the times but I just noticed Poole has a new book out - Ospreys: The Revival of a Global Raptor. Thank God for Amazon prime time delivery tomorrow! Blush

• 16:49 an Osprey back on the nest!

• SORRY EIGHTEEN 49