Llyn CLYWEDOG - March-June 2022

This nest is curated by John Williams of ©NaturalResourcesWales and the cams by Peter Dobson of CarnyxWild

Information courtesy of John Williams:

5F Seren hatched at nest K, Rutland, from parents Red 08 (m) and Yellow 30 (f).  Chris Wood, who volunteers at the Rutland osprey project, has been following her for at least 7  years to Tanji Marsh in the Gambia.  She has been at this nest with Dylan since 2020, after suffering abandonment by bigamist Aran at Pont Croesor.

Seren returned on 26 March 2022.

Dylan is unringed, he's been breeding at this nest since 2016, when he ousted dear Dai Dot.

CarnyxWild Wales YouTube Channel

The Clywedog Osprey Group (Facebook)

IMAGICAT

• I mean to do video from 2 days ago but am very far behind because of tech stuff and keep putting off Clywedog because it will require a lot of "work" to edit.

My cam got stuck in a buffer for several hours aovernight untill I refreshed it after daycam.

Anyway, here's an unpleasant but straightforward short clip from this morning - 2 unfortunate Osplets at the mercy of the eldest (?)  Let's hope that little wing was flexible!

IMAGICAT

• Fairly heavy rain at Clywedog just now. The chicks fed well this morning, and Dylan's arrival at 14.00 with a brown trout did not tempt Seren 5F to move from mumbrella mode, so he took it away again.
  • Seren is currently struggling to tear apart this large, impacted clump:

IMAGICAT

• Yesterday evening just after Scylla's capture above the nestorising 5F picked up Bob3 and put it on the edge of the nest, thinking it was a clump of moss. Little one rolled back into the cup with apparently no damage.

An early perch and a trout have got today off to a good start - Dylan had his first go at feeding a chick. Dry at the moment.
  • Unknown said:
    Yesterday evening just after Scylla's capture above the nestorising 5F picked up Bob3 and put it on the edge of the nest, thinking it was a clump of moss. Little one rolled back into the cup with apparently no damage.

I hope when I get there it's not buffering!  In the meantime, I'm back on the 28th, trying to compile this long-awaited (by me) #3's progress video.

It makes you realise just how "purposeless" Osprey mamas are, it's all instinct.

Seren just caught my eye with a very long stick (didn't see where it came from) and she's still struggling with the impacted clump.

IMAGICAT

•  I'm giving up on the video of #3's progress - keep getting buffering at crucial times:

But here's the first recovery feed:

Unknown said:
    5F picked up Bob3 and put it on the edge of the nest,

IMAGICAT

• Another humdinging fight going on - #3, I think, is lying down trying to keep out of trouble but is proving to be collateral damage.

IMAGICAT

• Dylan is supplying a mixed diet today - perch (04.28), brown trout (7.16), perch (13.35), brown trout (15.27), perch (18.02).
  • 31 May

Breakfish - we weren't allowed to see much of it tho:

Seren is blocking the feed.

IMAGICAT