Llyn CLYWEDOG - March-June 2022

This nest is curated by John Williams of ©NaturalResourcesWales and the cams by Peter Dobson of CarnyxWild

Information courtesy of John Williams:

5F Seren hatched at nest K, Rutland, from parents Red 08 (m) and Yellow 30 (f).  Chris Wood, who volunteers at the Rutland osprey project, has been following her for at least 7  years to Tanji Marsh in the Gambia.  She has been at this nest with Dylan since 2020, after suffering abandonment by bigamist Aran at Pont Croesor.

Seren returned on 26 March 2022.

Dylan is unringed, he's been breeding at this nest since 2016, when he ousted dear Dai Dot.

CarnyxWild Wales YouTube Channel

The Clywedog Osprey Group (Facebook)

IMAGICAT

• Quietly entertaining morning at Clywedog

9.35 John Williams reported on YouTube chat that Dylan had caught a huge rainbow trout.
    10.35 Dylan bought it to the nest and Seren took it away.
    11.24 Seren brings a large tail section back. Dylan leaves but does not take the fish tail.
    12.09 Dylan lands with a stick which he places across Seren's back, and while she is distracted he grabs the rest of the tail and scarpers.
    12.28 She gets up and moves the stick.
  • 551 (20) intruded again at Dyfi this afternoon around 2.30. He then took a trip over the hills and came to his home nest around 3.45 - was on the top perch (Camera2) clearly at 15.59. Dylan is having to see another of his sons off the premises.
  • Unknown said:
    9.35 John Williams reported on YouTube chat that Dylan had caught a huge rainbow trout.
    10.35 Dylan bought it to the nest and Seren took it away.
    11.24 Seren brings a large tail section back. Dylan leaves but does not take the fish tail.
    12.09 Dylan lands with a stick which he places across Seren's back, and while she is distracted he grabs the rest of the tail and scarpers.

Thank you, AG Slight smile 

I'm not covering Cam2 because it's too unreliable to download and I haven't got spare screen - therefore no intruder Persevere

IMAGICAT

• 13 May

I haven't been thru the night - but Seren took off looking "as usual" and there's no evident destruction on the nest, so I presume all's been well.

Dylan takes over:

IMAGICAT

• Breakfish - if you can call it that Grin 

I think it's Dylan's smallest effort yet:

Can you believe it?!

And this was a slice of bark that Seren brought in earlier - Dylan doesn't realise that it's what's been bobbing up when he steps on one end, he's picked bits out of the nestcup by mistake:

IMAGICAT

• FISH !!! !!! !!!

And a much better one than last time ;)

EDIT

In and out:

IMAGICAT

• Dylan was straight off with the tail when she brought it back at 11.44.

• 14 May

Seren returning from early comfort break:

Dylan flew in empty-taloned, pottered for 2 minutes and flew off again - unusual start for him Blush 

Dylan must have been very hungry, he'd eaten far more than the head from Seren's breakfish:

Dylan took good care of his eggs:

Seren was gone nearly 2 hours!

Dylan brought a big slab of bark (can bark be called a "slab"?  Gotta think of another term) and crowded Seren:

That's it up to 09:00.

IMAGICAT

• Steady as we go at Llyn Clywedog. Breezy day, but dry and not uncomfortable. Perch for lunch at 12.29. Day 37 will be Saturday 21st, so perhaps a Sunday hatching? Showers forecast overnight tonight, but next week overall looks OK.
  • Unknown said:
    dry

It didn't last.  I tried to lighten this a bit:

That could be far too big but have had to host it on Imgur as it wouldn't upload, it's 500px wide and have set max width in Insert box @ 500px but it looks huge before posting.

IMAGICAT