LOCH ARKAIG - THE WOODLAND TRUST - MARCH 2022 TO END OF FEBRUARY 2023

I think this will be an interesting season at Loch Arkaig - who is going to take residence is the big question? 

For me it doesn't matter who, just as long as the nest is occupied. 

LINK TO 2021 THREAD

LINK TO LOCH ARKAIG OSPREYS WEBSITE

• And the final two fish - Louis surpassed himself bringing six today, the family couldn't eat them all and three big pieces remain on the nest as night cam switched on.

16.21.46 Fish number five, headless BT

18.14.29 Fish number six, whole BT

• Roy Dennis talks about his support for Conservation Without Border's Flight of the Osprey expedition:

• Well I have no idea what to do I can see RD but no way can I hear him
  • patily said:
    Well I have no idea what to do I can see RD but no way can I hear him

Hi Patily, the volume is working okay for me. Either has your computing device got no volume on or the video, has the volume been accidentally hit to off on screen? Other than that I don’t know ?

• Thanks for the Roy Dennis video Geemeff. I love his sentiments towards protecting all of the natural world.
  • patily said:
    Well I have no idea what to do I can see RD but no way can I hear him

Sorry you're having this problem, Patily.  I just checked the sound and it's fine for me. Have you checked you've got both the video clip volume on high and also the volume on whatever device you're using? Anyone else having this problem?

• Saturday 13th

Message from Liz Bracken: Bunarkaig Nest Update

Very early this morning, in thick mist, I headed round to Bunarkaig hoping to get some long distance footage of the osprey family round there. Not long after I arrived the male came in with a fish. I hadn't quite finished setting up but got some shaky footage of him arriving (which I haven't posted) but I thought he looked a lot like Prince. On closer inspection of some other footage I took of the female feeding Fishy, I noticed she was sporting a blue ring on her left leg! Unfortunately impossible to read it as very grainy and only a fleeting glimpse. She also resembles Affric but difficult to be sure of course. Fishy did a bit of wingercising once full of fish, so I've posted a couple of videos. I don't know if he's fledged yet but possibly not, judging by his bunny hops.

You may remember that Prince and Affric visited nest 1 in 2021 and again earlier this year but chose elsewhere to raise their offspring. My hunch is Bunarkaig Blush .

Here are the links to two of the videos taken this morning:

(The adult's ring is visible at 47 and 54 seconds in but you'll need to be quick to spot itGrin)

• Today's videos - the three fish remnants left on the nest overnight were still there this morning. One by one they were claimed by the three females, in age order.

06.40 Dorcha fancies leftovers for breakfast

07.09 Willow’s also happy with leftovers for breakfast

07.39 Sarafina snaffles the last leftover fish

• Louis delivered the first fresh fish at lunchtime, and the next one a couple of hours later.

12.34.10 Fish number one, headless BT (zoomed)

14.57.18 Fish number two, headless BT. Sarafina looking at something overhead that's bothering her, before eating.