LOCH ARKAIG - THE WOODLAND TRUST - MARCH 2022 TO END OF FEBRUARY 2023

I think this will be an interesting season at Loch Arkaig - who is going to take residence is the big question? 

For me it doesn't matter who, just as long as the nest is occupied. 

LINK TO 2021 THREAD

LINK TO LOCH ARKAIG OSPREYS WEBSITE

• It was ENS about 15 minutes ago as Ilooked in but then Louis suddenly arrived with fish.....and Dorcha not at home. Louis was mantling and looking around. Not sure whether was an intruder or if he was guarding his fish. Then Dorcha landed but made no attrmpt to take the fish. I had started to take captures but after about 7 minutes Dorcha had still  not tried to take the fish. I couldn't wait any longer. I have jusy popped back and Dorcha is alone on the nest No sign of fish Is she not hungry or Louis wouldn't religuise???????

• 23.00 Is Dorcha about to lay an egg? Much speculation on WT chat at her behaviour. Very late to be on the nest. Standing up, half mantling, more of a flutter really, crouching, looking uncomfortable. A stick got blown into the nest cup a bit earlier, startled her. Needs to be removed.

• Geemeff said:
    23.00 Is Dorcha about to lay an egg?

How strange!  She's facing us, drooped over.  Scuse the ultra-enhancement but needed to see her features - otherwise she's just a pale blur:

IMAGICAT

• I just recorded it, am slowly editing some footage cos it's .wmv off "this" laptop from rollback.

IMAGICAT

• 00.34.34 owl strike in real time then repeated in slo-mo

• scylla said:
    I just recorded it, am slowly editing some footage cos it's .wmv off "this" laptop from rollback.

Just saw this now I'm back on my laptop  Scylla - I uploaded my clip from my iphone which doesn't make it easy to read posts but does do a quick upload.

• Geemeff said:
    Just saw this now I'm back on my laptop  Scylla - I uploaded my clip from my iphone which doesn't make it easy to read posts but does do a quick upload.

You have my undying admiration for achieving anything other than a call on your phone, Geemeff Grin

Well, after "hours" of labour-of-love on contrast and sound, here's my longer effort with some preamble - I was thinking all the time, before the owl strike, that it was either the Tawny Owl or the Pine Marten she was suspecting.  I hope the owl is satisfied for the night.

IMAGICAT

• 01.51.29 Second owl strike on Dorcha! Real time then slo-mo.

• scylla said:

Geemeff said:

You have my undying admiration for achieving anything other than a call on your phone, Geemeff

Well, after "hours" of labour-of-love on contrast and sound, here's my longer effort with some preamble - I was thinking all the time, before the owl strike, that it was either the Tawny Owl or the Pine Marten she was suspecting.  I hope the owl is satisfied for the night.

https://youtu.be/_ZV-APgD_QE

Was forced to figure out how to use my iphone when my laptop died and it took three whole days to get a new one - right in the middle of nesting season, natch! Sadly the owl wasn't satisfied, Dorcha suffered a second strike an hour or so later. Wonder if there'll be a third tonight? Haven't figured out sound like you have, Scylla - so I just switch it off on the slo-mo bits to avoid the d-r-e-a-d-f-u-l drawn out sound effect.