LOCH GARTEN - FEEDBACK ON YOUR MUG ORDERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Can I be so bold as to start this new thread for the most iconic Osprey nest in the world?

Hopefully if the season progresses the way all of us would like it can be changed to a monthly, weekly then daily threads!

Question: are we having a sweepstake for the first confirmed sighting of a bird on the nest this year? If so I will get my prediction in now - 21st March 7.53 am Osprey without a fish.

We can only hope that we shall be able to witness it ourselves via a camera rather than having to read a report.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• SheilaFE said:

It would be lovely to see Axel & Mistle again.  They are such beautiful looking birds.  Axel got his unofficial name (from the Forum) because of his Blue AX6 Darvic ring.  He hatched in Glen Affric in 2016.  The name Mistle was suggest by Scylla, due to her beautifully speckled breast and readily adopted.  They were seen bonding on the nest on 25 April, and continued to visit, but didn't settle.  Were they hedging their bets, or had they found a more favourable nest elsewhere - surely not!

Thanks so much for the background info on Axel and Mistle - I missed a lot last season - internet connection for 4 months in hospital spasmodic at best. 

I have to say both names are extremely apt!

Interesting that Axel appeared in 2021 as a 5 year old. I wonder if he didn't breed / find a territory earlier - if so it increases the chances I hope of him returning to LG this season. Do we know when he was last seen on the nest last year?

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Lynn L said:

After Tiger ran the sweepstake for EJ's arrival for years and decided to stop doing it, I did it for the following year but it does take a lot of time and keeping on top of, so maybe we could just do as you have and whoever wants to, can post their guess here as you have.

Day - Date - Time - With/Without Fish.

If you like I could keep a note of the guess's on my tablet's notebook and if an Osprey does arrive and someone has guessed that day, I will post their guess on that day, without posting all the details as before, naming folks each day who has made a guess and whether they were correct or not. Just for a bit of fun.

Thank you so much Lynn / Catlady - I eagerly accept your offer to keep a note of the guesses on your notebook and announce the winner.

Can I suggest a little more fun?  I will donate a small prize to the winner - watch this space for more details!

• I will do that then, I can hardly contain my excitement, the hopeful arrival of the Osprey's and now a prize as well!! Eagle (as near as I can find)! Champagne

Come on then folks, let's get this thread going, as we hopefully await new beginnings at Loch Garten.

I will guess, Wednedsay 23rd March @ 3.30pm with no fish

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• CRinger said:
    Interesting that Axel appeared in 2021 as a 5 year old. I wonder if he didn't breed / find a territory earlier - if so it increases the chances I hope of him returning to LG this season. Do we know when he was last seen on the nest last year?

We couldn't see exactly what was going on but intruders seemed to put paid to Axel and Mistle's tenure.  TIGER thought that humans may have had something to do with it, as they were not "policed" (my term) well enough.

The couple were on the nest together on 10 May, then on the 11th we reported that they'd disappeared.  Axel visited on 19 May and 23 June.  Those dates could be a day late because they're my upload dates.

RETURN DATE COMPETITION - I think you, CRINGER, will need to edit the thread title so that all can see what's a-happening Grin

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

RETURN DATE COMPETITION - I think you, CRINGER, will need to edit the thread title so that all can see what's a-happening

UH OH! Edit the thread title? How on earth do I do that? A 5 page idiot guide required for this technophobe please scylla!

• Not difficult CRringer, all you need to do is the following, you will manage.

Go to the original post that your made on page one.
    Click on the more word, beside reply, cancel, like.
    Click on the word edit.
    You will now see your post and the title above the post.
    Change the title to what you want it to say (maybe include the wee competition, may encourage more readers).
    Then click post, job done.

• Lynn L said:

Not difficult CRringer, all you need to do is the following, you will manage.

Go to the original post that your made on page one.
    Click on the more word, beside reply, cancel, like.
    Click on the word edit.
    You will now see your post and the title above the post.
    Change the title to what you want it to say (maybe include the wee competition, may encourage more readers).
    Then click post, job done.

Ummm I think I did it. I hope the guess nearest isn't disappointed in the prize! - more to follow on this!

• March 28th Monday @noon, no fish. [this is very fun and exciting, thank you!]

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• It is CC, hopefully we will not bed disappointed.

• That's a masterful instruction post, CATLADY Grinning and a superb new title, CRINGER Grinning

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

09:30 - 20 MARCH - with FISH

(That hurt, being so optimistic Grin )

IMAGICAT