FLS ABERFOYLE 2022

This might be the slimmest thread this year if the camera at FLS Aberfoyle isn't working and/or if there's no osprey action. But here's hoping!

Link to 2021 thread

Last year, there was lots of action on the nest from While CL (2008) and an unringed female, but sadly, no chicks (perhaps they had them at another nest nearby) and also, a brief appearance by Blue 600. Oh, and scylla spotted a few crossbills too which are hard to come by, Let's hope the nest will have a better season.

• Ha! Just found this on FLS's site:

"Aberfoyle's ospreys. We have had to make the difficult decision to remove our long standing osprey nest camera. This camera was installed many years ago near a nest in a standing dead tree. Unfortunately, this tree has naturally degraded over the years and is no longer safe for staff to climb for regular maintenance of the camera. Our nest has also sadly sat empty for the last 4 seasons, despite there being around 30 nesting pairs in the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park. The reason they have not recently been using our camera nest is probably because of the condition of the tree and does not indicate any concern for the numbers of ospreys. Ospreys can still be seen regularly in our region, from Balmaha to Inversnaid along Loch Lomond’s eastern shore and at Loch Achray and the Lake of Menteith, close to Aberfoyle."

End of this thread I guess!!!

• What sad news!  This, in its own quirky way, was the best cam stream in the UK - I could just leave the download monitor "on watch", and whenever the cam came online it would be picked up, 100% reliable - no worrying about having to remember to check if the cam was up or down... it was just a bit glitchy (to put it mildly) but I loved it, and CL and partner - this was the day we saw them fight off Blue 600 and I tried to read the ring upside-down Grin 

It's all coming back to me *sigh*.  Farewell Cry 

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, Korky for the thread, but, yes, oh so sad that they will not have a camera running on this nest. Perhaps they will install a camera on another nest, one which has been regularly occupied since this one stopped being used, maybe even the nest which last year's pair might have actually nested on! Wish we knew if Clarach is still with us and was just nesting elsewhere since her nest here failed...

Kind regards, Ann

• Such a shame - dear Clarach....... what do we know about her please
  • Over 30 pairs of nesting Ospreys is a healthy local population.

Richard B

• That is sad and disappointing ANN I too long to have news of dearClarach......but it also amazing that there 30 pairs
  • This is such sad news...
    I very much hope that Clarach and her mate are one of the 30 osprey pairs nesting in Queen Elizabeth Park.
    Many thanks for the info, Korky.
  • Thank you Korky, but so sad we won't be able to follow the nest in future, but I do hope we get to hear something of Clarach in due course. Despite that sad news, it's wonderful to know how many pairs of osprey are in the area.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/