Kielder Ospreys 2022

A great way to start a thread!

• Absolutely amazing achievement, jaydee, congratulations. Thank you for all your incredible work for Kielder ospreys. So sad about YA, though, a very special bird.
  • Unknown said:
    Absolutely amazing achievement, jaydee, congratulations. Thank you for all your incredible work for Kielder ospreys. So sad about YA, though, a very special bird.

Thanks, Alison. Kielder Forest without YA will never be the same. 

• Thank you, Jaydee, Mrs YA is a star! Interesting that PY0 should pay the nest a visit. According to uk ospreys.uk site, it shows his name to be 'Walter'.

• The loss of YA is horrible and made even worse by the loss of Farne so soon afterwards. My condolences to you, Joanna, and to everyone at Kielder. YA is my favourite of all of Mrs G's offspring, and that was before I read that he had fathered one fourth of all of Kielder's fledged chicks! What a star he has been! And it is all the more remarkable when you consider his history, being rescued 3 times by the staff at that fish farm in Somerset many years ago. If it had not been for them, he might never have had as many chicks as he did. Fingers crossed that Mrs YA can carry on feeding the remaining chicks and that they all migrate successfully.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    The loss of YA is horrible and made even worse by the loss of Farne so soon afterwards. My condolences to you, Joanna, and to everyone at Kielder. YA is my favourite of all of Mrs G's offspring, and that was before I read that he had fathered one fourth of all of Kielder's fledged chicks! What a star he has been! And it is all the more remarkable when you consider his history, being rescued 3 times by the staff at that fish farm in Somerset many years ago. If it had not been for them, he might never have had as many chicks as he did. Fingers crossed that Mrs YA can carry on feeding the remaining chicks and that they all migrate successfully.

Lovely post Gardenbirder. I agree with you totally. We’ll just have to believe that YA and his last little chick, Farne are soaring high together over the rainbow. Broken heart Rainbow 

• Thanks, Glider. Now I need to choose another of Mrs G's chicks to follow...could easily be one of his brothers, 37 or one of the other 2 nesting elsewhere. Amazing to think that one male from each of the first 4 years of successful breeding by Mrs G and her first partner, Ochre 11(98), have nested successfully fairly regularly since they had their first brood, giving Mrs G lots of grandchicks. Or perhaps I should follow the grandchick nesting at Kielder instead... Fingers crossed that he and his partner return safely next year and have a successful nest.

Kind regards, Ann