Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 January 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week! Stay safe, everyone. 

• DIANE - Good morning (or for you Good evening). I hope you are on the mend and keeping warm. Just think of those in Perth WA, expecting a mere 39 C today after 5 days over 40 C. Here in SA, it is warm & humid, most un-SA summer weather.

• Just a thought

When life offers you 100 reasons to cry, show life that you have 1,000 reasons to smile.

• Diane: Thank you!

AQ: I've got about 99 reasons to smile so far.... :-)
  • Thanks for the new thread, Diane, hope you are on the mend.
  • Hi, folks. 

Sorry to ignore you all. I'm still not feeling well, and I'm really grouchy. I started out with gastro-intestinal symptoms, but I've transitioned to fever, cough, and brain fog (dang, I'm addled!). I don't know whether it's COVID, flu, or something else. My county's COVID positivity rate (unique individuals) is 51.4%. That means over half of people receiving a PCR test are positive.

- We still have no free Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) available in my county, even at the Health Department. It would be way too late for me to begin anti-COVID meds, anyway.
    - PCR test results take days.
    - I haven't been able to look for a vehicle, and I wouldn't want to risk getting the infection (if I don't have it) or giving it to someone (if I do have it) by traveling 30 miles round trip to the center of the county for a PCR test. 
    - The hospitals are all full, and staff are begging everyone not to come to the Emergency Room unless they have very severe symptoms.

In one of the richest countries in the world, I should have been able to walk up to my local library or volunteer fire department and get free RATs. Then I would know whether it's COVID. But, nope, no tests available. RATs, masks, and meds in very short supply and expensive.

Two years into a devastating pandemic, the U.S. government knew that the Omicron surge was coming and refused to produce and distribute enough free tests and masks for our people. The effort being made now is way too little way too late.

So, of course, the last phase of my freelance editing project arrived yesterday (early). My contract allows me only 2 weeks to complete this last, post-design phase. So I'm going to get up in the morning, drink a pot of strong coffee, tell myself I'm recovered, and cajole my brain to get to work. LOL I reckon if I can complain about the government, I can work. LOL

Talk to you all soon.

Indiana stats

• Blimey, Diane. Words fail me. How much of this is down to Biden and how much down to stroppy Republicans doing everything in their power to block him?

We're still a Covid-free household, which seems miraculous. Hope this continues as I still worry for Limpy. He's had all his jabs but I know enough about the vaccines to know that his risk is reduced, not removed.
  • Oh, Diane - Our hearts go out to you. Awful that you've been feeling so grim, and that you were already struggling without decent transport. Just do what are the most important things, and as you say, boost yourself up with cofffee. I hope you're managing to eat well, to get your strength back. {{HUGS}}

AQ- Those temps are grim. We were shown the results of the heavy rain in Adelaide. The cricket is probably best not mentioned, here! LOL!!
  • Lindy, I've just read that you've never seen a kingfisher. What you need to do is book a holiday in west Suffolk, preferably in or near Bury St Edmunds (a very pretty town and worth visiting). Then you need to visit the lovely Lackford Lakes reserve near Flempton, a few miles west of the town. Head to either Paul's Hide or Bernard's Hide with your camera in hand and wait for the (almost) inevitable appearance of a stunning blue bird. Finally, celebrate in any way you choose (though save cheering until you're clear of the hide!).
  • Clare, you came on whilst I was wittering. Glad you're all managing to remain well, fingers crossed....