Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 January 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, joyful week. Please stay safe, folks.

• OG - Great that your GD got the job! Well done, her!

Its been really cold here, only 1 degree when we got up today, & not risen much since. At least we didn't have any wind which could have been bitter. I wrapped myself up & we tidied the front garden, planted some little bedding plants in the tubs, cut back the ivy,  & picked up leaves.

Just seen a quote which I thought could give one pause:

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility"

Henry W. Longfellow. 1807- 1882

• Morning all:  

Lindybird:  Well in spite of unwanted bank statements it's good to see that you're in contact with his offspring.  I like that quote and would think it could well apply to many 'enemies;" on the other hand....   :-)

Heather: That's just awful about your daughter having to move because of noisy neighbors. I couldn't stand it either.  My niece was having the same issue, but apparently Covid put a halt to a lot of their activities; haven't heard much about them lately.. How does your SiL like being posted to foreign parts?  How long will he be away this time?

OG: Oh bravo for your GD, but yes, a midwife at a girls' boarding school? :-))   Permanent removal of toenail?  That hurts just reading about it.

CC: Wow!  That's an amazing and (to my unpracticed eye) very original piece of animation. If anyone else hasn't seen it, it's 1hour 20 minutes long so set aside some time.  Nina Paley (the creator/director/animator/etc) apparently adapted the original Indian myth after she'd been dumped by her husband while he was on assignment in India  The Blues songs show up as song-and-dance sequences and the lyrics not only reinforce the original story but also the recent and often powerless roles of women in relationships (as in "gee I'm nothing without my man" sort of stuff, which makes me cringe).   I especially liked the dance sequence after Nina gets the "Dear Nina" letter from her husband.  I imagine they must've used that method where they put sensors on a dancer and then have the computer or whatever catch the lifelike movements to go with the animation.  Apparently she's currently animating the Book of Revelation.  See https://blog.ninapaley.com/

Well, CC's link has completely thrown my morning schedule off-track, so must go hose down and get on with the day.  :-)

Take care all.

• HEATHER So very sorry to hear your daughter has had enough. This has been going on for such a long time so she really has given it a good go. I do hope she finds an equally nice but much quieter new address.
  • We have had some wonderful skies all day....lenticular clouds and this evening just the most amazing colours.

OG Glad your daughter got that job. Good luck to her.
  • I agree about the noisy neighbours thing. It can make life a misery. Hope she can find somewhere better, Heather.

I saw that CCs clip was rather long, so put off watching it till later...

Still catching up on things we recorded from TV - just seen the wonderful episode of Attenboroughs film on Song. Of course, it's mostly wonderful birdsong, but there are also reminders of the evocative sounds of the whales, and even lemurs!
  • Dibnlib: I'm so jealous of those dramatic skies you get with less light pollution. Did you see any aurora borealis this week? It seems a lot of people have been doing, even quite south.
  • Hi, folks. I have a really strong, overactive immune system, so I almost never get sick. The operative word there is "almost." I'm really ill. I think it's a stomach virus, but COVID is rampant and uncontrolled in my area. Due to Indiana's severe test shortage, I have no access to rapid antigen tests. They aren't available in my local community. I have no way to get to the county seat for a PCR test, and they are booked up, anyway. It doesn't much matter; I'm not sick enough to be hospitalized. I can call my small town volunteer Fire Dept. for EMT transport if I get worse. Our hospital is full, and the staff have asked that no one come to the emergency room unless COVID symptoms are severe. They are on diversion status. I've read all your posts, but please don't be offended because I'm not responding. I'm going to bed and try to get warm, listening to the BBC World Service. Take care of yourselves, all. Seriously.

• Diane, Hang in there and hope you feel better very soon. I have sent you an e-mail.

Kind regards, Ann

• Diane: Ugh. Not happy to read that you're not feeling well. I haven't heard that stomach upsets are indicative of any of the Covid strains; regardless, it doesn't sound good. Do take care and don't hesitate to call the local Fire Deptfor transport if you get really sick. Tae care of yourself and hugs from here... Look forward to hearing from you when you're feeling better.....
  • DIANE – Fingers & toes crossed it is “only” a stomach upset. Stay warm & hydrated. {{{HUGS}}}

HEATHER – Your s-i-l  should have a better reception on arrival than He Who Has Lawyers On Call. S-i-l should be safe with tests every 2 days.

LINDA – Not a good reason to make contact with distant family but I hope all sorts out. One day, maybe a trip to that other SA?

OG - Congrats to GD. The world is changing, indeed!

The covid outbreak in NSW was getting under control at the end of November & they were down to 150 cases in one day. Since then they have risen again & again until they announced over 92,000 yesterday. A third from RATs now being recorded. Why, oh why, did they open up for the “festive season”? The economy is not better off as most people are only going out & about for essentials.