Poole Harbour Ospreys 2022

Start of a new year so start of a new thread. 

I have changed the title slightly.

It could be a momentous year when, hopefully, our resident Ospreys return.

For the 2021 thread click HERE

Richard B

• Who could have imagined that something so awful would happen? So, so sad!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• My friend in Weymouth phoned me when she saw it on her local news.  So very sad for everyone involved - and as I think I said before, it's such a shock as I never associated Goshawks with that area - ignorance!

IMAGICAT

• Just heard about this devastating news - just awful.

Such a loss and my thoughts with Alison and everyone involved.
  • Oh Alison, that is sooo sad. I had hoped she would recover, but it seems her injury was too great and as others have mentioned, shock may be an issue, especially with wild creatures. My heart goes out to you and to everyone at Poole Harbour Ospreys. I heard about it earlier today but could only post now. However, I am convinced that the project will carry on and the population of Ospreys near Poole will grow. Tiger says that only one translocation project out of many has failed and there will be many more projects in the future. Every project has the occasional set-back but as at Rutland Water, Poole's project too will grow. This year has still been momentous and important in the history of the conservation of Ospreys in the UK; all of you there can be proud of what you have done and will continue to do.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank you Ann. Yes, the overall picture for the project is still very positive, as we now have a breeding pair. Being closely involved, though, one does get very attached to particular birds, as we all know here. It was so exciting when we first saw their little heads for the first time poking up in the nest. Once fledged, we thought the worst dangers were past, but nature had other ideas. Now we need to concentrate on the surviving ones, just like we did in 2018 (and look how well 014 is doing now from that very difficult start).
  • I cannot believe this 2deaths of ourbeloved birds in one day We were all soexcited when we realized there were two chicks in the nest What a blow and what a shock that such an attack could happen
    Sooo very sorry ALISON and all at BOPH
    AsI wished IC! fly free little lady and maybe yo will meet one day
    The tears are flowing freely for these two darlings
  • Just read the terribly sad news of 5H2’s passing this morning. I had such high hopes for her recovery, this is devastating. My sincerest condolences to you all and everyone involved. Broken heartRainbow
  • All three remaining members of our family are still present. 5H1 showing us her best side yesterday:

© Poole Harbour Osprey Project

• I bet her other side is just as beautiful, Alison! Oh, she's gorgeous!
  • Nope, she still prefers this one! From last evening.

© Poole Harbour Osprey Project