NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2022

News from Other Nests 2021

CAPTIVA OSPREYS - Andy & Lena

I'd been posting in "Forum Friends", here's a snap brought over, for the sake of starting this thread with something!

IMAGICAT

• Alyth:
    Juvenile arrived at 5.50 - calling for food, no response!
    At 06.01 juvenile found remnants of fish skin from yesterday's flounder. After 40 minutes juvenile left the nest with last stringy bits of the fish skin. Returned at 8.01, fish skin all gone.
    Sat around on the nest perch until 09.02, no sign of a parent. Left the nest briefly and back. Still there at 09.30.
  • Alyth update:

Dad made a fish delivery at 10.10

It took about an hour and a half for it to be totally demolished.

12.00: Juvenile still on the nest.

This juvenile I believe to be the same one that visited yesterday as it has distinct white flashes on it's head. The sibling had more of a diamond pattern on it's head. No sign of the sibling now since yesterday morning

Alyth 22 Aug 2202

• Only Black 80 still at Threave now, all the rest have gone
  • Janni said:
    Re: Alyth
    I have just watched the last remnants of this fish being eaten - it has taken 4 hours! In that time there has been no sign of the sibling since this morning.
    Did you notice Glider there was a break in transmission overnight? Approximate times 21.15 and 06.05 this morning so we have no clue about visits and/or feeds in that period. It means that we can still review some footage from last night as it is still on rewind.
    It's good to see that Dad is still delivering fish but with no sign of Mum, I guess she has gone.

Hi Janni, great observations. Good to know how things unfold before they all begin their next chapter. 

I did notice the break in transmission as when I scrolled back 12 hours yesterday, I ended up in the day before! Smile

• Unknown said:
    Only Black 80 still at Threave now, all the rest have gone

That’s good news, the migrations are all beginning .

After you posting that Alan, I went onto the Friends of Threave Osprey Facebook and they were saying that one of the chicks, 040 had been spotted at the Plym Estuary a few days ago with a fish. Well done 040! 

• At Alyth, the last remaining juvenile is still here. Dad delivered 2 flat fish today.

Very dramatic setting. Look at that sky encroaching.

A group of corvids took an interest in the young Osprey with fish and did several fly pasts.

Second fish delivery

The adult male is only on the nest for a few seconds.

• Glider said:
    A group of corvids took an interest in the young Osprey with fish and did several fly pasts.

Great capture, GLIDER!  I'd love to have done a video but the start of rollback is 15 minutes too late!

Over the season I've had quite a bit of trouble with this stream and eventually forgot to set it recording again - and Tweed Valley, which seemed to go offline altogether.

IMAGICAT

• Tweed Valley roundup
    "In the whole of the Tweed Valley Osprey Project Area there were thirteen occupied nest sites this
    year and nine of the sites were visited by the Environment team to ring the young ospreys. Of the
    four sites where the chicks were not ringed, two of the sites were new nest sites and the ospreys
    had built their own nest. It has been a productive year in terms of the number of ospreys raised in
    the area this year with a total of 32 ospreys reaching fledging stage.
    This brings the number of ospreys raised in the Tweed Valley Osprey Project area since the start of
    the project to a total of 268.
    This year 22 osprey juveniles were ringed at 9 of the nest sites.
    All were fitted with blue darvic rings and BTO rings as well. "
  • Saaksalive #3

Tuisku hasn't been seen since last Tuesday so probably migrated

But I think I found one of our own goshawk chicks (who haven't been heard or seen for a long time) on the nest (nooo of course not!)

#1 (still quietly present) and #5 are doing great and for #4, my fav (finnish!) nest, if I may say so, nothing (except for a visitor) has been recorded anymore.. I do hope Una will survive and we'll see her someday.

• scylla said:
    Glider said:

Great capture, GLIDER!  I'd love to have done a video but the start of rollback is 15 minutes too late!

Over the season I've had quite a bit of trouble with this stream and eventually forgot to set it recording again - and Tweed Valley, which seemed to go offline altogether.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Aw such a shame Scylla, a video would’ve been great, never mind. You do such great work with so many streams so can be forgiven for missing a couple!