Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 December 2021

Happy Hogmanay and Happy New Year!

This is the last thread of 2021! Time flies...

My dear friends, I wish you all happiness, health, safety, and serenity in 2022. May it be a better year for us and the world.

PHOTO: The 2021 Comet Leonard, near in the sky to the awe-inspiring star cluster Messier 3. The comet will reach its closest point to our Sun on January 3, 2022 at the end of its 40,000-year journey to the inner Solar System. It'll be ejected into interstellar space, never to return.

Photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)
Horizon Productions SFL

• ps. We both feel a little better, today, although my OH still has a stomach which is churning a bit. Sometimes I wonder if it's stress.
  • HEATHER – I do hope your s-i-l stays safe. The only Aussie state that is almost covid-free is WA, but they require quarantine. Others states are letting overseas travellers in with minimal tests and very short isolation.

Hot cross buns were in some C…s supermarkets today. A new flavour; cheese & vegemite. I like vegemite. . . but in a hot cross bun? No way.

• ANNETTE We had 3 nights at Pine Trees. The food is delicious but on Christmas Day I did leave some of the excellent fillet steak and on Boxing Day the same with turkey. doggie bags provided so Benson has had a feast as well.

I do hope you are able to visit your daughter often.
  • HEATHER We were actually away in Pitlochry for a 3 day Christmas break. Christmas Day was non stop eating as lunch was included as well as a 4 course dinner with canapés before. Benson gets our leftovers as although the meal was quite delicious I did leave some of the turkey. We will be back at our favourite hotel in March. restrictions permitting.

What a lovely hotel Drumossie is. We thought we may go there for a pre Christmas lunch but decided that would be over indulging. I think £82 for lunch on Christmas Day is about the average. OHs Sister was invited to join a neighbours family for a lunch at a hotel in Wantage. Her neighbour offered to pay as a Christmas gift. We know that was £90 a head. It was so good she wasn't on her own on Christmas Day as of course it was her first without her Dad. She coped very well but it might have been a different story if she had spent the day on her own. We did invite her to join us at Pitlochry but she declined.

Glad you finally enjoyed your turkey.
  • Morning all:

Lindybird: Missed that bit about a potential visit from over the Pond.  :-(   Let's hope it's just idle talk at this point....

AQ;  Well, the way to survive that trip to Europe is on a luxury liner, but.....    

Heather:  Wow. That's some treat for Callum's girlfriend's family.  Though I doubt a full-on Xmas dinner at a nice place here would cost much less.  Glad your own Xmas dinner survived the trip!   Does family visit mean just you and son's family for meals?

Everybody here still fast asleep.  I should toss on some warm clothes and go feed the horses...

Take are all

• Annette, I think she was just testing the water about a possible visit next summer. She will find that no one wants to host her stay though! She didn't mention her possibly coming to my OH, but he was ahead of her already, when he spoke to her, and kept on emphasising how bad the covid figures are here.

We arrived OK after a very wet trip. Not too tired, and a good hot cup of tea revived me. Amber very excited, and after a pause she lost no time in ripping the paper off a few presents!!
  • Hello all, hope you all had a lovely Christmas with family and friends.

I have not been on for a while as we have had a drama of our own playing out. I think I mentioned that Ray was taken by ambulance to A&E last Thursday afternoon but was then told he could go home, this about 9.30-pm in the evening - we were told it was constipation and they had treated that. However, he had a restless night and by the morning was double up in agony. My dau rang the doctors again as in the first instance it was a doctor's referral and were told to ring the emergency ambulance. He was taken in again and eventually transferred to an Assessment Ward. Finally, today he has been transferred to the appropriate ward and will now undergo tests to find out what is wrong. As you may guess it has been a fraught time but at least it is now being dealt with. We spent Christmas lunch with our son and his wife but really was on tenterhooks as to what was wrong with him. Now that he is on a ward and things are progressing we can rest a little easier. We are allowed to visit provided we take the appropriate steps so that is some consolation..

Pleased to read one or two of you have managed to eat away from home and enjoyed the break. Do hope Lindybird and OH are feeling a lot better now.
  • Lynette:  Good heaven, that sounds like a really anxiety ridden few days - and over Christmas too!  Glad your OH's problems are finally being addressed,  Please do let us know how he's doing and do take care of yourself in the meantime.

Busy day here.  Saw daughter twice today and managed to squeeze other errands in between visits. Lots of snow forecast in the next few days; hence all the to-ing and fro-ing. Am hoping we don't get too much.

About to topple into bed.  Take care all.

• ANNETTE – I could not endure a cruise. When one of my “bus trip acquaintances” enthused about her cruises, I shuddered. No scenery but boring sea day after day.

LYNETTE - I hope that now your OH can get a diagnosis & care he needs. Do look after yourself. {{{HUGS}}}

NSW covid testing bungled again; 900 were told they were negative. In fact 500 were positive.

• Just a thought

The most important thing is to know when you don’t know.