Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 December 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe, and healthy week! 

• Hello – calm Monday, but batten down the hatches for next storm Tuesday, apparently!

ANNETTE – garden man suddenly messaged today – reasonable quote and to start next Monday. Same day that painters are doing kitchen and dining room – as OH said, if we are already in for a real muddle, can’t have a realer muddle, so let’s go for it! Hadn’t realised your daughter was not on food yet! Hope it goes down well this week. Didn’t know your GD and partner had split – good of his family to continue available to help in case of need. It is right that you should get back to your OH now. It would be better if AZ contingent could get back to California, but I thought AZ insisted that Ms D has to stay in the home-state of her birth father? Sounds as if you will need a long quiet rest when you get home – you aren’t supposed to be there to work, but to give support!

HARELADY – sorry about wee Lily – hope you haven’t caught anything from her. How long are they staying?

LYNETTE – obviously I haven’t grumbled enough recently; still trying to get used to the totally new way of life! Glad you recovered so well, but sorry about your OH – very worrying for you.

AQ – loved the garden quotes. Hope you feel rested today.

LINDA – may be best to leave outside lights a few days – possibly windy weather ahead again!

HEATHER - it was a friend from the north (I mean real north above Inverness) who introduced us to oaten tatties: boil the potato chunks, drain, melt a good knob of butter and then add a handful of oats (I use porridge oats because they are what we have) and shake well. We both like them, and so does Jonathan now. Is your remark a hint that Callum is unvaccinated? Silly boy!
  • OG:  In our family, support often translates into work!  :-)     Granddaughter is no longer tied to AZ due to ex-husband's move to Wisconsin, but she is (was? who knows?) in line for a promotion and was waiting to see what happened there.  Meanwhile, a job that's almost identical to her current one has shown up on the City of Santa Barbara website - at $20,000/year more; of course, you'd need every penny of that to live in SB, but we'd all love to be closer.  Re her ex-  I hate to say it but his family is - as she calls it - a hot mess.  His second daughter (Ms. D's younger half-sister) has been removed from the home (from which he and second wife have now been evicted!) and she is currently living with an aunt.  Meanwhile  Wisconsin has started the process of permanently terminating his parental rights.  How did these people end up anywhere near our family! Thank heaven Ms. D seems to be full of 'our' genes.   Good luck with the garden guy, etc.

Heather: Could be your Danish friends may end up trapped by Covid in any one of those countries.  I have no idea what our Xmas will look like.  Granddaughter and I suddenly realized that Ms. D's school will be closed for two weeks starting December 20.  A problem for another day.....

Off to do errands. Take care all.

• Just to let you know, I am doing the insulin injections as he says he can't do it. Also we are popping into the surgery tomorrow as he needs a doctors letter for his disabled pass. He has this for his intermittant vascular desease which makes walking any distance quite painful..

Annette - do hope you can persuade your GD to make the move. Hope OH starts to feel ok soon.

HeatherB - let's hope you will be reuinted with family at Christmas despite the rules and regs up there. I'd be very surprised if your Dutc;h friends will be able to do that drive due to perhaps restrictions in the countries they are going through but you never know.

Managed to persuade my S_I_L to come down to us as we are always goiing up to hers for handover of CP's. Also my brother and his partner coming down to us for a change but this will be after Christmas. Saves my daughter having to drive us.
  • LYNETTE - Sorry your OH is being difficult.

I’ve been to city to bookstore who were very helpful with choice of books for Twins. Now all gift purchases completed & await wrapping. Only gifts for 3 Little People. Biggies get cash to spend as they please – easier than even gift vouchers. OH & I will have a quiet χmas lunch for two followed by afternoon snooze. Dau#2 & Co are coming for lunch the Sunday before χmas. No idea what or when Dau#1 is doing.

Weather is a blissful 20 C but most people (esp younguns) are complaining about delayed summer.

• Just a thought

Act sincere, even if you don’t mean it.

• AQ - a whole big 1_degree here this morning..
    Good that you enjoyed the Trio's visit - but can understand that you would be tired afterwards. I am famous for saying ' Oh well' when it feels as if visitors have been here long enough ! Now, wonder what I shall do when ( and if) youngest granddaughters arrive here for a week or so, after Christmas. I love them so much though and hope that nothing will happen to cancel their visit. Precious times....
  • aquilareen said:

Just a thought

Act sincere, even if you don’t mean it.

Hmmmmmm ........... no.  I don't want to be taken for a politician.

• Hehe, Clare - I couldn't have put it better myself!
  • ANNETTE - sounds like your GD did well to remove herself from Miss D's father so early and glad she is now released from staying in AZ. Job in SB would be good, even if they need to live outside the city for housing costs. I would be good for your Dau to be near her regular medics when she gets through the covid virus.

LYNETTE - my OH does my arthritis injections for me as I don't have strength in my hand to push the plunger down! Could be similar for your OH with his insulin.

AQ - definite clear messages here - from us and them - that nobody will try to come at Christmas. We shall have a pleasant time with the usual three of us - and maybe some phonecalls.

LINDA - nothing from you today - I hope all is well.

Spoke to garden man on the phone this morning - at least he doesn't start so horribly early in the morning, so we shall only have the 7 am start on painting day. OH has started packing stuff from dining room into loft and garage. Biggest problem (physically and mentally) will be the fridge/freezer, which will have to be last minute. Now waiting for a call from hairdresser; don't like chasing her, but she had said she would finish maternity leave in time for pre-Christmas visits. Luckily, my hair is in good condition, but I really do want less of it!
  • Yes, OG - agree, hope all is well with LINDY.
    Callum is isolating, his girlfriend has Covid. He has had one vaccination but has been tardy about the second. Now he must wait.
    Danish friends have cancelled the trip to Spain by road - but have booked a flight and holiday to Tenerife, instead.