Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 September 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Monday, 6 September, or Tuesday, 7 September, depending on your location.

I hope everyone has a happy week full of joy and love!

(Happy Labor Day to Annette and bjane!)

• I have been given some Jack Reacher books by a friends husband. I haven't read them yet but will do soon. My friend and her husband have bought a house in Liss. They moved to be closer to family who live in Surrey. My friend was nearly driven potty during lockdown when she couldn't see her daughter, son in law and baby grandson. There is now another due in January. I miss her.
  • It must have been nice to have a trip out in the car OG. I hope things continue to improve.
  • LINDY Yes, I much prefer Benson being off the lead. It is much more fun for all of us. I do remember telling Dillon off when I had to drag him off from the railway line. The London Inverness express came through minutes later. As I put it, I screamed blue murder at him. He never went near the railway line again!!!
  • More from me LINDY. Simpsons, our local garden centre are now selling Calendars and Christmas cards. We love mince pies and a friend usually makes loads for friends and the local scouts. They are quite the most delicious I have ever tasted with unbelievable light pastry.Last year her oven packed up......doom.
  • ANNETTE My neighbours have 2 posh cats which are kept inside at all times. I am sure they are loved and well cared for but I don't like it.
  • LINDY/CLARE Fingers crossed for Emma. We listened to her match a couple of days ago. How the commentator copes, I just don't know.
  • AQ - son in law is in the Playford Hotel in Adelaide. He seems happy enough !
  • I don't like to disagree with anyone on here but I will just state my case for keeping cats indoors. I have been rescuing cats for over 60 years and have never brought one in that did not want to come indoors. I have 4 cats in my house and one feral cat outdoors that will never be an indoor cat but she gets fed 2x a day and has a heated shelter in the winter, she won't allow anyone to touch her but is otherwise very friendly. I have lost indoor/outdoor cats to poison , vehicles, human cruelty, etc. When I bring a cat in, it's forever and I no longer let them outside but they have access to a 3-season porch, window perches and love. One day my porch door came unlatched while I was outside and when I came back I had 4 cats crowded together in the doorway but not a single one had ventured any further. All my cats were strays that had been abandoned and left to fend for themselves and all they wanted was a home. Sorry if I sound defensive.....

• Heather:  Oh my.  Just sneaked a look and the Playford looks very grand!  An 18-hour layover in Qatar though....Did he get a chance to see the city at all?  Where does he go next?

bjane:  Sounds like your kitties were only too glad to be in a stable predictable environment.  :-)   My friend in LA has 'acquired' a stray who's happy lolling about the house in between trips to the vet (he wasn't well when she started caring for him).  We've had several cats that went in and out with no issues and lived to ripe old ages. When we had Lightning (our last) we occasionally boarded her at the local humane society where they have large, three-level enclosures with individual access to closed-in multi-level porches where they can watch the world go by and keep an eye on the dogs' area across the way without fear of being chased.  I guess they're just like humans in some ways....I like to be out and about; OH prefers to stick close to home.  Here, pet owners have to be mindful of coyotes that come down into town - and more recently moutain lions - apparently coming down out of the hills in search of water.  The friend I had lunch with the other day said she's spotted either coyote or bobcat scat in her garden. 

Speaking of critters, I was up really early and spotted a possum on the patio!  :-)  Haven't seen them around for a while; maybe will start putting a small bowl of water out at night.

I haven't been watching the tennis, but heard radio interviews where commentators were saying how nice it was to see a  younger generation enter the fray.

• I see the comments on Christmas goodies in the shops – playing on people’s fears that shelves will be empty due to lack of drivers! Must admit to a yearning for a mince pie earlier this week – need to get that mincemeat made!

PAT – we have had M&S Hot Cross buns as an occasional breakfast all year round – had them today, actually! Always have some in the freezer.

AQ – sorry your OH had a vaccination reaction – hope he won’t make it an excuse not to get the second one.

LINDA – Dau #2 reacted badly to her first jab, but only mildly the second time. Have a good weekend down south – I seem to remember Amber’s birthday is the same date as yours.

HEATHER – journey was a bit weird as I have still not attempted to use the special front seat, so was imprisoned in the far rear in my wheelchair – a bit bumpy! Thinking of going to M&S Food next week!

DIBNLIB – still continuing to practice my walking indoors – now room to room rather than just for transfers.

BJANE – good to hear from you with your feline companions! I have never had indoor cats – except for end-of-life care – but I still believe dogs should be kept under control.

ANNETTE – agree about the joy of new names appearing in top sport.