Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH! 

Can you believe it will be September this coming week?!!! I hope everyone has a safe and serene week. 

I keep trying to get back here to catch up with everyone, but I'm not having much luck. When I arrived back from Indianapolis, I had a long To-Do List of critical tasks. I'm slowly working through it. I'll try to stop in on Monday and do some replies.

Lindy: Have a good time in Wales. 

The 17-year cicadas are long gone, but now our regular August annual cicadas are screaming at the top of their little lungs in the trees. One day when I was dog-sitting, I looked down in horror to see that the smallest dog had vomited up a HUGE pile of cicada parts onto the carpet! She'd been feasting on the bugs outdoors. Oh...it was disgusting!!! Would you think that this innocent little doggy could create such an unholy mess?!!!

• Diane:  Thanks for saving me from (and doing a much better job of it) explaining why New Orleans is in such a precarious position.  

Clare:  That yellow umbrella is one of several along that balcony on Bourbon Street.  The others are tied up and seem secure but that first one is leaning over and flapping..... the plants seem okay....  There's a TV guy (not visible on the cam) who's nearby where the streets are flooding - and that's just rain, not the storm surge - yet.

Lindybird:  Hmmm. Sounds like a smart move to let OH brave the BBQ himself. 

• Wishing a great time to HARELADY, PAT and anyone off to Family Visits. . . and not too exhausting!

OG – Snacks at short notice for Little People are savoury biscuits & cheese. (I always have spares unopened.) Too often meals are from the freezer - usually homemade sausage rolls which they love. Tap water for the kids, fruit juice for Dau, coke can for s-i-l. Easy peasy.

LYNETTE – Dentist visit was a major operation, over an hour, as he built up a new tooth layer by layer. Too long for my jaw wide open. No pain but I hate polishing vibrations. Over & done for 6 months or whenever.

LINDA – OH to BBQ, Me-time for you.

More flinging today. Why doesn’t my room look improved? I remembered at last to bake OH a boiled fruit cake (his favourite). Time to pop it in oven.

• It’s not important to win, it’s important to make the other guy lose.

You know you’ve won an argument. . . when the other person responds with “whatever”.

If I were you. . . I wouldn’t be me. (t shirt)

• Good Morning. Overcast here now, although a bit of sun when we got out of bed this morning. I had bad leg cramps yesterday so went to bed with a hot water bottle, just as if it were winter. Ho hum. Slept well though, & feel better for it.

Not sure what we are up to today, but it's nice to just drift into things & be lazy.

AQ - My mother in law used to make a boiled fruit cake so perhaps I ought to have a go, for my OHs sake. Not keen on that kind of cake myself, so he'd have to eat it all himself!
  • Dull here, today. Sun hasn't got his hat on.
    Where do I start? thank you all for your news.
    AQ- Son in law now appears to be heading to Adelaide, next week, instead of Perth. Things keep changing. He will therefore be quarantining there and presumably working there afterwards.
    Like you, I've always got the wherewithal for food for unexpected visitors. Life before freezers wasn't as easy !
    ANNETTE - I get calls from all my offspring, every day. Listening to the stories keeps my mind off my own worries !
    DIBNLIB,- you were very unlucky with the kettle. Maybe cheap and cheerful is better, as you say !
    DIANE - thanks for starting us off. The cicada mess would have put me off my food !
    LINDY - Ibuprofen is something I cannot take because of history of duodenitis. If I had to take that or similar, would have to take omeprazole or similar at the same time. I Hope that you pick-up soon .
    LYNETTE - I am paying £40 a time for grass cutting. They are going to put bark down this week on the borders. I'll make a decision next Spring whether to continue with them or find a cheaper option.
    OG - I hope that EE will find a way to cut down on the amount he is doing. Sending hugs x
    HARELADY, PAT, you have busy times ahead ! I'm exhausted just thinking about it!
    CLARE - thank you for brilliant pictures as ever.
    We had a family gathering here on Saturday. Mostly outside. 14 of us for a meal which was organised and prepared by my three daughters. I did the shopping !!

Regards to ALL
  • Good morning. Thanks for listening yesterday. By evening, OH had also listened and is now drafting a letter to church saying we shall have to step back from all communication duties (including magazine) wef tomorrow – he is even taking a sabbatical from eldership. It is unfortunate timing with real problems to be sorted but for our sake it must be now. I expect it will take some time to hand things over, but burden of responsibility will be lifted.

HEATHER – I hope you will all be well after the large gathering at the weekend – keep taking the tests!

LINDA – sorry your OH found the BBQ a disappointment. Hope your legs will be better today. We baked boiled fruit cakes last week – one eaten already!

AQ – dentist sounded quite an ordeal – glad it is sorted. Good to hear you are flinging – my fingers are itching to get on with flinging here when I can.

Never sure how much our area will join in bank holiday today – disadvantage of being near border – so don’t know if we are expecting nurses this afternoon
  • OH So glad to know that you are getting your priorities right. We chatted with my retired GP friend recently and she made it clear that looking after yourself should be the no 1 thing to do.
  • Walk this morning down a country footpath. A dog seems to have wandered into the picture as I got ready to cick!!

• No idea why my pix are coming out this shape, now....

Pretty wildflowers by the path. The blackberries nearby have finished now or we could have picked enough for a treat, usually!