WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY AUGUST 22, 2021

Hallo all.  Just back to hotel from day with friend.

Rosy:  Sounds like an exciting day for the 12-iyear-old.

I'll be here for another night, then heading hom early Monday.....

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Thanks ANNETTE for taking time to start us off. Safe trip home.

Online church this morn. I’ve happily reduced a pile of paper by half (leaving the hard part for another day). Sunshine for the third day despite forecast of showers. Grand Design have children for the day (must be a his-n-hers family). The young boy really enjoys throwing things against the fences BANG. They also have dog that has a very loud WOOF. Dog waits until I am weeding in back corner before giving me a heart attack. No, we have not met them yet; said to be nice people.

• Sunday clears away the rust of the whole week. (Joseph Addison)

A mother was giving instructions to her three children as she sent them into Sunday School. She asked “And why is it necessary to be quiet in church?”
    Her son quickly responded, “Because people are sleeping!”

• DoH!
    Poor you hope,the visitors wont be regular, whilst natural to be extra noise,

whatever,happened to G/parental advice, "to be aware of neighbours" .also their own pride in not damaging Fence and Walls...

• aquilareen said:
    “And why is it necessary to be quiet in church?”
    Her son quickly responded, “Because people are sleeping!”

LOL!  I certainly would have been!  For whatever reason I was obliged to go to church by my (non-church-going) mother.  All it achieved was opening my eyes to the less than Christian behaviour of far too many people in it.  Suffice to say that when I reached my teens, that was that.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning. Thanks to Annette for starting us off : I hope you're enjoying your visit.

Clare, we used to be occasional church goers, and I sent my two sons to Sunday School to give them an idea of religion, and the Christian faith as practised here. I was also hoping that their school would give them an all round education in the basics of other religions, so that they would understand how others live & their beliefs -- I had had a very interesting teacher when I was about 13, who taught us about the various beliefs.

I agree that as in many other spheres of life, the actions of people varies. I've never found that those with the most compassion are particularly religious, nor that those who don't attend any church are any worse members of society. 

• KATE – OH has noted that when the father(?) is around the boy is quieter, but when the mother(?) is around he is out of control.  So father & step-mother perhaps?

CLARE – At least with online church, no one can see me doze off! Nor the woolly socks and knee rug (my computer room is chilly).

• Lindybird said:
    I was also hoping that their school would give them an all round education in the basics of other religions, so that they would understand how others live & their beliefs -- I had had a very interesting teacher when I was about 13, who taught us about the various beliefs.

Both Helen and I learned about different faiths at school - Helen at primary school, me at high school.  I found the subject interesting but she didn't, sadly.

Lindybird said:
    agree that as in many other spheres of life, the actions of people varies. I've never found that those with the most compassion are particularly religious, nor that those who don't attend any church are any worse members of society. 

Couldn't agree more with this.  At the end of the day we are all human and it's up to us how we live our lives.  I think most of us do all right.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I should have added to my comments, that I wanted my children to make up their own minds when adults.
  • Hello from me. I am still finding everything very difficult and visits from nurses upset any timetable we try to apply. I decided to look in today and have read the beginning, but have not been back to last week’s thread at all so forgive me not knowing what is going on.

ANNETTE – thanks for starting us off – sounds as if you are away with a friend, so enjoy your relaxation there.

AQ – some of the Australian Grand \Design programmes are being shown on our TV – part of the digging around for things to show since new programmes have in the main not been made. If the house is new to kids and dogs behind, there is still time for them to quieten down a bit. We seem to have abandoned Zoom for services – apparently getting a small congregation fortnightly in church at present. Big church meeting (live) in two weeks time when decisions will need to be made.

ALL – I find it very sad that faith, religion and church-going are so often equated. I am glad that my parents and grandparents understood the importance of faith, which led to my later personal choices and that my children had good introductions to global faiths. They have all found different ways, but it is good to know they are well grounded in faith.

I didn’t think I would have much to do with the church magazine for September, but have found myself offering to do some copy typing this morning – leaving EE to do the editing again as he did last time. So I must get on with it – he is outside picking tomatoes.