Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful, wonderful week. Be careful and stay safe, folks. 

• Annette - sorry to read your news. Things never seem to come in ones, but events seems to be in multiples. I was hesitant about putting on the pictures as I don't want to be a boring grandma, but I'm glad you enjoyed. What a literal pain it is that your health might prevent you going on the looked forward to trip, and seeing old friends. Sorry to hear about your daughter - at least, as they say, she is in the best place with the medics examining her problem. I hope they soon sort it out for her and that your granddaughter can then turn her attention back to her own probs.

Its certainly true that when things are beginning to go badly, we look back with nostalgia at our former carefree selves. But we all have to travel hopefully.

The Afghan situation is something which has had me yelling at the TV on a regular basis - so frustrating that its dragged on for so long, and that now they will all take backwards steps. A journalist said today that most of the population are willing to haul themselves into the new century with all of its benefits, but that about 10% of the population do not, they want to keep to the ancient rules - and they are the Taliban and their pals. They seem to be able to hold the entire country to ransom. I can hear my mother now, saying "Things just seem to get worse...." -- I'm glad she's not here to see how some things are turning out, and not just for Afghanistan.
  • Lindybird: Hey - smiling happy children are always welcome! :-)
  • OG – Don’t rush it. Recovery takes time. {{{HUGS}}}

Our telecast of the La Vuelta began with 90 km to finish. The country looked like our state – yellow, dry, some vines – until they came to towns – architecture so very different.

Interesting report on the antechinus. Note that males have a short but busy life!

• Just a thought

A friend may well be reckoned a masterpiece of nature. (R W Emerson)

• Good Morning. Grey here again so the sun seems to have gone somewhere else on holiday!
    Enjoyed reading about the antechinus, which I'd never heard of.
    Going to potter around this morning whilst on my own, & catch up on my emails etc.
  • LINDA - I must confess I had never heard of antechinus either. We had a lazy tea, chicken & chips from chicken shop, first for months. All those vital food groups - salt & fat!!! Now for a hot shower and a snooze for the evening.
  • (She must have worked for a rival!!)

• Nice to be lazy sometimes and have a takewaway, AQ - don't feel guilty about it!

Its horrible here: last evening we had the fire on! Its been so chilly and damp that our bathtowels wouldnt dry on the rail in the bathroom, so we are now bringing them downstairs and putting them on an airer all day. In the winter its OK as its a towel rail heated by the central heating. When we first had the bathroom put in, it had an electric heater which would warm it up but when that failed after only about 12 months, my OH said "Well I'm not replacing that, its not important"

Sue had hammering rain most of the night in Wales, so not too good there, either.

Trying not to watch too much News, as it upsets me too much - we can do nothing to help except perhaps take in a few refugees.
  • Morning all:

Lindybird: If I saw a sign like that, I'd be tempted to go in and order their largest coffee, if only for the sheer chutzpah!   :-)  Hope the weather improves enough for dry towels.  EDIT:  Just saw the photo on the BBC website of the hundreds of people sitting on the floor of a U.S. military plane, some with children in their arms, about to leave Afghanistan.  Absolutely mind-boggling and of course, those pix of people hanging on the sides of that plane as it took off were utterly distressing.  

AQ: Very cute little critter that, but apparently all that speed-mating is too much for the guys (referred to on one Aussie site as going out "with a bang", although one captive and presumably celibate male lived for 5 years, according to http://www.genomics.senescence.info/species/entry.php?species=Antechinus_stuartii.  Meanwhile, I see that females can live up to three years and have up to 12 babies every time they get pregnant.  Good grief. If I had 12 babies in one go, I'd be tempted to pack it in after one year too.

Completely forgot to go to yoga class last night what with all the current complications. First time that's ever happened.    Meanwhile, got a smart young woman at the insurance company who's investigating further why auto insurance shot up (she did manage to spot some errors on their part which made a big difference right off the bat). But then called TV/Cable provider and for the second time - arghhhh! - got someone who spoke English well enough but who couldn't seem to take down my phone number correctly (had to repeat the entire number several times and the area code 6 times!!). He seemed to be reading from Customer Service Tips for Beginners.  Finally, he managed to discover the same information I'd given him 30 minutes earlier.  OMG.   I said thank you, hung up and went and banged my head against the wall.   Where did all the competent people go?  

• G

Slowly feeling more normal !! I'm just not used to such a busy house. Eldest daughter arrived yesterday to assist with a deep clean :-)
    I'm up to date with all your news - LINDY, you haven't sounded your normal self lately - hope you're OK x
    ANNETTE - I didn't know that the posh name for sciatica was lumbar radiculitis. Anyway, I hope that the new meds and physio will help you. Sorry that your plans seem to be up in the air..
    OG - slow progress ? Good that J felt positive after his interview.