Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy, safe week. 

• That is very reassuring, LINDY !
    DIANE - good quality sleep has eluded me for many years, after 13 year s of night duty in hospital when my children were small. It has got progressively worse as I've got older!
  • Morning all:  Quick look in before I zoom off to eye docs for a check up.   I agree if kids say Please and Thank You it works for me; noise seems to be part of it.   Our neighbors have two little boys and I enjoy hearing them shriek and play in their garden (much more pleasant than previous neighbor who had a teenage boy with a set of drums and lots of friends).  Argh....  

Diane:  Wow.  I wonder if the person videotaping the vultures thought to chase them away...  Don't worry about posting, etc.,

Take care all......

• Heather - Interesting you should cite your night duties as a possible cause of your insomnia. I haven't slept well for years, and just thought it was genetic - my mother was the same, and my sister also suffers. But it made me think - I used to work a very strange shift pattern for BBC World Service in the Newsroom, which ran on a ten-day rota with some shifts starting at 7.00am, some starting at 11.00am and finishing at 10.00pm and then a 'killer' overnight from 8.00pm to 8.00am followed by three days off. It was so disruptive - but an interesting job, and I was much younger then! I believe they stopped this shift pattern shortly after I moved on to something else within the BBC - I can't imagine anyone being able to do it for long. I lasted just under a year.
  • PAT - I have always blamed the shift work for my poor sleep - I could be wrong ! My brother worked alternating shifts all his working life and very annoyingly sleeps for about nine or so hours a night.
    ANNETTE - I keep thinking about you moving all those rocks ! There is obviously something that I am not doing - maybe I should be attending yoga classes....
  • Heather - Sometimes life - and sleep - just isn't fair! By the way, I think weightlifting might be more useful for Annette than yoga.
  • LINDA – The Trio are noisy at times, may argue, have the odd tantrum, but most of the time they are well-behaved. After a meal they take their plate & glass to the kitchen. Last visit they packed up the toy box without being reminded. Much better than my two were - where did I go wrong? On the other hand Dau complains the Trio will not do their quota of chores (empty dishwasher, play with Toby the dog, etc). The funniest, I think, is “Stop reading, get out of the car and go into school.” She has 3 bookworms – I wonder where that came from?

HEATHER – I wish I had the answer to not-sleeping. Some nights I “go out like a light”, others I toss & turn hour after hour. Some nights I sleep in 2-hour batches. Camomile tea does not always work. Sometimes a half hour read in the middle of the night works, other nights it doesn’t. I don’t let it worry me.

PAT wrote “weightlifting might be more useful for Annette.” Yeay. ANNETTE for the next Olympics.

I heard heavy rain overnight. Airport recorded 5 mm. More showers today. Garden is definitely too boggy for weeding.

• Just a thought

Did you hear about the person who had such a bad case of insomnia the sheep fell asleep?

• Thanks for the start, Diane and that fascinating story. Help!!! they do sound like a very formidable and wiley bird.

AQ - looks like the family is growing up quickly. Glad you had some time with them.

Clare - thanks for your pics of the red kites.
  • Diane - that was some video,

All - I agree, as long as ones children are taught basic manners then it makes all the difference, never mind the noise that is part of the growing up process..

Managed to book a 5 day break at the beginning of Sept with a coach firm, so off to South Wales. We've only touched on the Brecon Beacons area so this will be a new territory for us. Visiting Botanical Gardens, a castle and the BB mountain railway .

Do hope OG is making steady progress. All the best OG for a full recovery.
  • Morning all

Re Sleep as we age Doh!!! we all try so many ways to assist our busy brain ,from crowding us out, just when we want to relax, and SLEEP.

I wonder if this may assist in trying to re educate the brain in its sleep functioning.
    www.avogel.co.uk/.../

As always, take care all