LOCH OF THE LOWES - AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Link to July 2021

History of Ospreys at Loch of the Lowes

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-web

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrival dates: Laddie - 21st March  NC0 - 25th March

Three eggs laid: Egg #1 - 11.4.21  Egg #2 - 14.4.21  Egg #3 - 17.4.21

Hatch dates: Chick #1 - 18.5.21 (37 days)  Chick #2 - 20.5.21 (36 days)  Chick #3 - 22.5.21 (35 days)

25.5.21 - Third chick passed away Broken heart

22.6.21 - Chicks ringed: #1 - LR1 (female) #2 - LR2 (male)

Ringing Blog: Meet out newly ringed osprey chicks - LR1 and LR2

26.6.21 - NC0 catches a fish

PT4(19) arrives back in the UK. Blog by Joanna Dailey: An important visitor - Kielder Ospreys

9.7.21 - LR1 fledged at 52 days old, 17:01. Blog: First Osprey Chick LR1 Fledges

Blog: We have lift off

12.7.21 - LR2 fledged at 53 days old, c17:40. Blog: LR2 fledges

15.8.21 -  LR1 migrated at 89 days old. Blog: LR1 has left on migration

22.8.21 - NC0 migrated. Blog: NC0 has left on migration

FR2(15) seen back in Scotland for the first time: Link

Laddie and LR2 migrated. Last seen on the nest: Laddie - 25.8.21 (c20:32), LR2 (98 do) - 26.8.21 (c20:08) 

Blog: Farewell LM12 and LR2

Blog: Osprey Watch 2021 - a look at the data

3.9.21 - LR2 sighted in Southern Spain

25.10.21 - LR2 still in Southern Spain

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the 2021 Osprey season at Loch of the Lowes enters its final stage, it is reassuring to know how very well LR1 and LR2 are faring in the build-up to their first migration. Laddie (LM12) and NC0 (who, it is thought, will soon start her long journey south) are continuing to provide for, and protect, these wonderful (and loud!), young juveniles. Last month, it was fantastic to see the confidence in both LR1 and LR2 when they took to the sky for the first time, as well as watching them practise their spectacular diving skills into the Loch - sights to behold! With only a short number of precious weeks that we have remaining viewing Laddie, NC0 and their family on the webcam, let us hope everything continues to go well.

• Cam back online (9:26)

New URL

LR2 had been back on the nest for a few minutes shouting for more fish, he left at 9:41

Edit - just for the record, LR1 - 92 days old, LR2 - 90 days old

©SWT/LotL

• There was a dive at 12:00  It flew from right to left across the Loch to make its splashdown. I assume LR2 was/is on the birch due to the calling (has been sitting there for a while)

Flight out of the water

On its way to the birch

Landing next to, who I think is, LR2

Lots of excited squeals but no handover seen

I'm offline now until later this afternoon. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 came from the birch to deliver a headless to LR2 at 18:12ish. He was already waiting on the nest

©SWT/LotL

I'll scroll through footage since lunchtime and will post anything noteworthy

• From what I can find, the 18:12 fish appeared to be a re-delivery from this initial huge, headless one brought on by NC0 at 15:07ish. LR2 was on the nest at the time.

LR2's crop looked quite flat/sunken

This pic to show the size of the fish

The cam zoomed in part-way through LR2's one and a half hours of eating session (a few sample pics he did take the fish to the back of the nest too)

#

He flew away once he'd had enough and left the remainder of the fish unattended

Cleaned his beak

This gave a corvid an opportunity to try to take it - it failed but did find a small morsel on the front right of the nest (in its beak, 2nd pic)

NC0 came to chase it off (top, left) and landed above the cam (I think). She almost floated down moments after to re-take the fish. 

She landed on the birch after a brief flight over the Loch.

Apologies for the extremely long post!

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:
    5:53ish Laddie delivered a live fish
    Sandra P said:
    He made a swooping flight to the birch

I had picked that up when opening the wrong clip looking for something else - lovely swoopaway Blush

• 20:22 LR2 still with his fish. Possibly NC0 on her branch of the birch

©SWT/LotL

• 20:26 A close up from the cam operator

©SWT/LotL

• scylla said:
    ... lovely swoopaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aww Scylla, thank you! Wasn't it a fab flight?! Loved the zoomed in section within the vid as it showed more than what could be seen on a normal screen size. You're a star!

• 20:59 LR2 walked away from remaining fish (looked like only skin and the tail left), cleaned his beak and flew from the nest

21:00 NC0 arrived to retrieve the remains of the fish. She could be seen flying around the Loch before landing, LR2 was heading past the birch too (that was him marked in the box, honest! lol). She moved around the nest with it (occasionally pecking at it), keeping it safe from a nosey corvid.

At one stage, she almost slipped off the front left edge of the nest trying to warn off the visitor.

She left the nest for the birch, taking the fish tail with her - no freebie for the corvid this evening!

It was so good to see her spend a few minutes alone on the nest Smiley

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:
    From what I can find, the 18:12 fish appeared to be a re-delivery from this initial huge, headless one brought on by NC0 at 15:07ish

Oh I got SO confused!  I wish I could tell y'all about it but you'd die of boredom.

Sandra P said:
    Apologies for the extremely long post!

And I had to leave out lots of nuggets for the sake of a watchable video, even then it's longer than usual: