MANTON BAY – JULY 2021

• In reply to Karen:

Let's hope she-095 stays put! Hopefully she is a bit calmer and she is taking hint from the parents if she's a good girl she gets a fish! :-)
    The centre was only flooded yesterday so don't think this was the previous notice of closure! Not sure what that was for was assuming perhaps incorrectly that it was self isolating maybe! We didn't ask!
  • 18:08   Maya arrives and takes some innards

095 spies 096 flying by and starts flapping her wings

18:09  Maya eats some fish

18:11  096 arrives

096 takes off as 095 approaches 

095 wing flaps

095 stands guard 

and now warning  -  Maya continues to eat

18:17   Maya appears to have finished and cleans her beak

Maya then stands on the fish looking out - perhaps for 096

18:19   Maya then flies off with the fish

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 18:23  Maya returns with the fish

095 wing flapping

Maya keeping hold of the fish!

• 18:29   095 starts flapping her wings, warning

096 arrives and lands

095 has launched herself at him and 096 takes off

095 is off in pursuit leaving Maya with the fish

and she flies off  again with it

• 18:37  095 had returned and was calling.   Maya returns with the fish

once more, Maya holds on to it

I think Maya knows that if she gives it to 095 she will probably take off with it 

Maya now having some more fish

Cannot help but feel for Maya and 096.   

He wants fed and she wants him to come and get the fish  - I just wish 095 would calm down.  

• In reply to Karen:

Karen if we hadn't seen what we have with 33 feeding 096 we would have serious concerns about the aggressive behaviour 095 is showing to him at this more mature age of a juvenile. She doesn't like him and is attacking him to the extent that he has to keep away! Hopefully if she migrates before him he can get extra fish for a few days. Her behaviour has changed the behaviour of these birds this year! Isn't it strange for the last 2 seasons with 4 chicks there was more work for 33 but this is proving to be a more trying year for Maya and 33!
  • LAM - if we didn't have your reports, I honestly would have been beside myself worrying about 096.

095 is very, very aggressive - she clearly does not like 096 nor want him anywhere near far less on the nest.

Everything was fine on the 21st - both were eating on the nest. I was not about on the 22nd when 096 took off but it is since his return that the trouble has started.

It is all credit to 33 who is doing his utmost to feed 096 on the perch also Maya who is looking out for him and I am wondering just now at her eating if she is trying to get the fish down in size that it can be transferred to 096 on the perch as you saw this happen with 33.

It is not nice to watch but I cannot see her changing.

• 095 has been begging and Maya will not see her hungry but she wont let her have the fish so feeds her !!

095 looks up and a screech!!    We know when 096 is near!

back to feeding her

• In reply to Karen:

Thankyou Karen totally agree - the transfer can only be made with small fish & dead since 33 has to bring it in with one set of claws and land with the other leg and then make the transfer. 096 I fear has lost the plot.