Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 June 2021

I hope everyone has a serene and joyful week! The June Solstice is Sunday evening or Monday depending on your location. Insert your nearest city or town in the search box on Time and Date to see the exact time for your area. 

• OG: Good grief! Diane and I are booking our flights now! :-) Was there no completion date on the contract for the kitchen with penalties to be assessed in the event of delays beyond that date (depending on circumstances)? But no response at all from the painter - did he die? I'd be inclined to go bang on his front door. Very frustrating for you. And no seat for the car ordered? How do these people stay in business!
  • Sadly, these problems do not seem to be unusual these days. We are finding it increasingly difficult to get work done of any kind - a lot of the workmen do not reply to enquiries, or else just don't turn up to give estimates in spite of making appointments. We need new worktops in our kitchen and I will probably insist on retiling too, as taking out the old stuff will be damaging. But we are dreading looking for someone to do the work as its not major and all the joiners seen to want to do the biggest most profitable stuff.

Annette, I suppose I might have to get someone expensive to cut my hair but I shall be weeping in frustration if I do, as it seems so extravagant. The hairdressers I used to use, charge over £50 just for a wash and cut, without a blow dry- I used to pay less as I was an old customer of the actual girl who did mine, but she has now retired due to ill health. And lots of the other ones in our town charge even more!!!
  • Aw, dang, OG. I'm so sorry to hear that projects are not developing as they should. That's probably especially challenging for you because you're always such an organized person.

Would it help to type each of the errant people (painter, kitchen contractor, car seat people) an "official," legal-looking letter written in formal language? At the bottom, indicate that you've sent copies to others (use fictitious names) to suggest that you're building a case against the folks who aren't completing the work as contracted. In these days of texting, emails, and phone calls, I've found that a scary looking letter written in formal language can carry a lot of weight and motivate people. 

I hope they get themselves in gear and finish what they promised. They don't want to make Annette and I come over there!!! Glad to hear that J is looking at potential jobs. That will probably alleviate some stress on all of you. Take care, my friend.

• Not finishing a job seems to be a common fault these days, whether it is road works, new house or any repairs. The “Grand Design” behind us still needs some more painting under the gable, there are plastic strips flapping in the wind. A back window has newspaper “curtains” half adrift. A drive past shows a front “garden” looking like a mud patch with a wooden pallet as a stepping stone. It irritates OH but I treat it like ads on TV – I look but don’t see them!
  • Just a thought

I love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will endure the darkness because it shows it shows me the stars. (Og Mandino)

• Good Morning. A sunny start here, although we had a cold night. My OH has gone off to golf so I can potter around getting things done around the house and will also pop out for some bread & milk. Such excitement!
  • We've just come off the phone to the DVLA - Limpy's full driving licence has, today, gone into their postal system! Yes!! YYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks, Mike. It seems that passing an assessment doesn't guarantee you'll get your full licence back, but the DVLA have decided in the 'young man's' favour on this occasion! What a relief.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• OG pleased to hear the positive news of J

We enjoyed our catch up at Brodie yesterday and especially meeting my friends daughters 6 month old cocker spaniel.