Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 June 2021

I hope everyone has a serene and joyful week! The June Solstice is Sunday evening or Monday depending on your location. Insert your nearest city or town in the search box on Time and Date to see the exact time for your area. 

• Morning all:

Heather:  Here's a link to a nursery that shows a pix of a tree about the same size as ours and as the writer claims, it provides wonderful shade.  blog.moonvalleynurseries.com/chinese-elm-trees

Lindybird:  Very cute photo of Dad and Dog.  Your pink peony is testing the waters so yes, be sure to tell it how welcome it is.

Diane:   Four in the morning. not a good time to evacuate because of potential flooding (maybe shimmy up one of your trees? maybe with one of those rope ladders?).  I've often wondered what would happen if we had a big earthquake at night. We're told to have comfortable shoes and a flashlight close by the bed and a wrench close to the main gas valve; plus the same in the trunk of our cars (along with water and a first aid kit in the event we're stuck out on a highway somewhere).   Our winter solstice is about 8:20 tonight.

Guy from TV service people showed up yesterday but the person I spoke to on the phone got the problem wrong, so wrong guy was sent.  However, this guy (and he's not the first to share 'trade' secrets) told me that we could avoid paying for the particular service we need by using a Firestick (made by Amazon) that would hook up to our wifi and access All Kinds of Programs (he recommended a free app called Pluto).   Went tootling off to Best Buy looking for a small cheapo TV, and the sales guy there said I could buy a Smart TV and not need a Firestick, just a wifi connection.  Since Stupid TV plus Firestick almost equaled the cost of a Smart TV, I bought home the latter.  Of course, if wifi in the back bedroom isn't good, all bets are off. although guy from TV company who came to the house said we could fix that problem with a new router (ours is prehistoric by tech standards) or, better yet he said, a mesh-net set that includes a router and two boosters to be placed at opposite ends of house. Then we could apparently do all kinds of streaming, games with Lord knows how many people.   Picture my eyes glazing over since, having grown up with no TV until the mid-1950s, I'm very happy with something that's merely adequate.  Meanwhile, we'll see how the Smart TV performs; have 15 days to return..

• Heather - snap! Just done the same with my grey bin - that is everything that can't be recycled. At least none of it goes to landfill. Ours get burnt by a process that converts it to electricity.The only pain with our recycling bin is that I can't put glass in - that all has to go to the bottle bank or the local recycling centre - not such a hardship though.

Lindy - loved the mug!

I had a nice time with my Sister at Snape Maltings and Aldeburgh despite the drizzle. 

We did have laughs and tears, as yesterday was the 4th anniversary of my Daughters death and my Sister has lost 2 of her 3 boys - one in a car crash and the other to cancer, so we can understand the pain that that causes BUT we are both positive people and we appreciate the time we had with our loved ones and go forward. We both have Grandchildren and that is a blessing.

Now for Ospreys - Suffolk Wildlife Trust are raising money to bring Ospreys back to Suffolk are applying for a licence from Natural England to move some juvenile Ospreys to the Blyth Estuary.

This will happen over a 5 year period moving the birds from Rutland Water where they a healthy population. Wouldn't that be wonderful!!

Suffolk is due a mixed week of weather - with intermittent rain.

I hope you all have a good week.

• Last Thursday was week 3 of the new bins here - so back to "grey", but at least threee nearby had put out the red (plastic, metal and "cartons")!

I hope Suffolk gets its license and some Ospreys who will settle - a good estuary for them I would say.

Bonnie looks suitably puzzled by the mug - maybe couldn't recognise her earlier self!

More lovely flower photos.

Strange weather going on in Indiana - and aht is causing all the shortages there? Are there transport strikes happening?

A quiet day here - ordinary weather - not quite so humid today.

Going to enquire about the Swedish seat part tomorrow - also hope to chase the painter (window frames) as he missed another "definite date" last Friday! No news about kitchen fitter's injury.
  • No matter how long is a rainy day, it cannot beat the sun forever. (Alok Jagawat)

Rain is good for vegetables, and for the animals who eat those vegetables, and for the animals who eat those animals. (Samuel Johnson)

Perhaps the person who invented the umbrella was going to call it the brella, but they hesitated.

• Good Morning. Lovely tree, Annette. Can see it would give plenty of welcome shade.

Dibnlib: Well done to your OH on his win, (I forgot to say yesterday) Everyone seems to have gone Gin mad now, when only a few years ago it was considered an Old Lady Drink.

OG I hope your special seat turns up soon.

Harelady, glad to hear you can still laugh as well as cry at old memories of loved ones lost. We have to carry on as they would have wished us to.

Yesterday I defrosted one of our freezers ready for receiving all the lovely produce which my OH will hopefully bring home from the allotment in the summer. Also did some hand sewing which I found strangely comforting as its so tranquil to just sit with needle in hand. Maybe also helped by listening to some of the wonderful singing from the recent "Cardiff Singer of The World " competition on BBC4.

Cloudy but dry here.
  • Wonderful news about the Suffolk effort to bring back ospreys to the area. As there have been successes in other places, its great to hear its given the spur to other new areas to try and get them back across the UK.

My hair is now shoulder length and beginning to really annoy me. I was going to go a nearby town to get it cut (expensive salons here in our town) but now the area is very bad for positive tests for the virus, so it's put me off. Maybe get my OH to get the garden shears out?!

AQ, you came on while I was rabbiting - love the last quote!!

• Unknown said:

Strange weather going on in Indiana - and that is causing all the shortages there? Are there transport strikes happening?

OG: The increasing shortage of goods and services is nationwide in the U.S., not only Indiana. The nation has an intensifying "supply chain" crisis, which means that companies:

(1) Can't get necessary goods from other companies--such as parts (for cars, appliances, etc.), or lumber to build houses, or construction materials to repair roads, or household goods, etc.
    (2) Can't hire enough workers/staff to sustain their businesses.

There are lots of reasons for the crisis, and folks pick an explanation that aligns with their own politics. LOL I'll just say that the federal and state politicians failed to manage the economy or serve our people well over the last year. We put profit over people here. Now the corruption and poor decision-making are threatening the economy.

• It's storming hard again here, and R. T. Hawk is screeching. I think the ol' boy has had enough. LOL

Heather: I don't know what the baby cicadas will do. While I was outdoors this afternoon, I used a metal rod to open some of the holes that the earthquake collapsed. I feel bad for the little critters trying to get home. 

Lindy: That photo with your OH and the puppy dog is adorable. So lovely! I just cut my own hair, for the same reason. I'm glad your sewing was tranquil. It's nerve-wracking for me, because I am so bad at it. LOL!

OG: I so hope your new Swedish seat appears and is very acceptable. Let me know if you need me to tell off that painter. (LOL)

AQ: I love your first quote. 

Harelady: I am very glad you had a nice visit with your sister, although I'm sorry for the pain of your losses. Enjoy your grandchildren. Wishing you well. 

Annette: Good of the TV guy to give you the secret info. If you use the PLUTO TV app, check out the TV series "BrainDead." It's a comedy/drama about an alien culture from space that takes the shape of bugs who embed themselves into the ears of Washington D.C. elites. It sounds silly, but it's actually full of very sly humor and political commentary from the time Trump was running his presidential campaign. I laughed until my stomach hurt over the episodes. It's actually a well-written mystery, too, so the drama is good.

Take care, everyone. 

• Morning all:

Diane:  Thanks and I'll check out that Pluto series -  haven't had time to hook up the Smart TV yet and today is turning out to be busy.

AQ:  My favorite is "um.....brella?"

Harelady: Gosh, you and your sister have had serious heartbreaks. So good that you can be together for support and smiles....

OG; Fingers crossed your new seat does the trick (and yes, where the heck is painter!  Diane and I would make a great motivational duo.)  :-)

Lindybird:  Maybe just bite the bullet and get your haircut at pricey local places this time round.

Off to check my to-do list.

• Well, DIANE, our sweary words are not strong enough for the painter, so maybe he does need to hear some of yours! We are very cross with all that has/has not been happening. Nothing from kitchen about finishing work, painter is not responding to any messages and now it seems the car seat people hadn't ordered the extra gizmo! All the frustrations are definitely impinging on our life here. Good news is that J is looking at advertised jobs.