Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 June 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a fun and joyful week!

The Cicadas are now singing their high-pitched, rattle-screeching song from all the trees on my patch. The noise is overwhelming! I've been turning the radio up indoors, because the ebb-and-flow of their continuous screaming becomes mind-numbing. I revere all Earth's creatures, but I'm glad these critters only visit every 17 years.

On Thursday, 10 June, a rare Ring-of-Fire Solar Eclipse will occur. Most people won't be able to see the full eclipse with the fiery ring live, but you can watch a partial eclipse if you go outdoors. The partial eclipse is visible in the U.K. I will see part of the partial. Bjane will see a short partial eclipse. Annette and AQ won't be able to see the eclipse at all, unless you watch it online. 

Insert the name of your nearest town/city in the Eclipse Lookup box on this page for the eclipse times and visibility in your location. The page also provides info about this eclipse. The website, Time and Date, is safe.

You can watch a live stream of the full RING-of-FIRE Eclipse online HERE. Also at Time and Date.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need eye protection if you watch this week's solar eclipse. I'm sure most folks know that eye protection is required for any solar eclipse, but this is a public forum and I felt a responsibility to include the warning.

• Hi! I was on a chair with low plant troughs on a table, but I think it was the number of times I reached one trough over another that actually pulled on my back - quite a lot more comfortable today.

J got his second vaccine today. So the hopefully the Three of us are safe.

What is happening to this site? Getting slower every day!
  • Have been unable to get on here by any means or ideas, all day.

Cloudy but dry and warm here. Told by my Doc that she wants me to take a blood test, so I went down to the surgery & collected a form, then rang the CIinic to get an appointment to get it done. The girl on the phone offered me today! So off I toddle to get it done. Slightly held up by the fact that the Clinic is doing Covid jabs today, so all along the line I had to keep explaining myself, but got there in the end.
  • Waited to see if that posted!!

OG - I'm sure your poor back will recover after some rest. You must have been using muscles you don't usually stretch. Hope it's just a memory tomorrow.

AQ - Like the quotes, but not the last one. Sorry you've been confined to barracks over the weather.

I just flaked out and my 40 winks turned into an hour when I should have been cooking dinner! Fortunately, tonight was cold leftover chicken from the weekend roast so as my OH had prepped some new potatoes (yum!) I just made some white sauce & threw some frozen peas in a pan.
  • LINDY: Forgot to say that Toffee is gorgeous. What a nice dog.

AQ: I hope you're getting your strength built back up and with a lighter mood. Sorry you had to cancel your camera trip.

ANNETTE: I'm glad you'll get to see your family members soon.

Hot sticky humid day here with rain, making me cranky.
  • Couldn't get on at all last night and couldn't hang about long enough to get on this afternoon. All seems to be okay right now though... Jut back from in-person yoga class for the first time since last March. Yay!

Thanks all for posts, hope bad backs get better and humidity improves for Diane....

• This site must have heard my mutterings – if it was slow again today, I was giving up and returning only when it was behaving like other normal sites. Lo, it came up pronto. Nothing much happening here. Rain, on and off, only a few mm but very welcome. Our state now offering A-Z vaccines to 40-49 year olds. (already for 70+, vulnerable & 50-69s.) I’m hopeful more & more people get the jab. But I can’t convince elder sister in 80s to do so. Silly woman is waiting until Pfizer is available later in year. I shall say nothing about my stubborn OH.
  • Just a thought

Just because something isn’t happening for you right now, it doesn’t mean it never will.

• Good Morning. Fingers crossed this site is back to normal now. Sunny here with pleasant temps forecast.

Nice for you to resume your yoga, Annette. Things are creeping back to normality here, too.
    Lots of door banging and voices next door last night at five minutes to midnight, as our neighbours returned at the last minute from Portugal. They left over a week ago but didn't reappear on Friday as we expected: they must have got a last minute flight when the rules changed.
  • AQ - You came on as I wrote. At least they're now getting on with the vaccine jabs. We are up to asking the 25 - 30 year olds to turn up for theirs, and its hopeful that it won't be long before the younger ones follow - it will end with the 12 to 16 year olds, I think, as its unsure that it's a good idea for children to have it.

We have some new outbreaks of the easily transmitted Indian variant which are causing concern, but there are far fewer hospital admissions and few deaths, since all of us old 'uns were vaccinated, so it does work. Looks like it could be our only way out of this mess.
  • My lovely poppies - Shame they only last a couple of days each.