Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 June 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a fun and joyful week!

The Cicadas are now singing their high-pitched, rattle-screeching song from all the trees on my patch. The noise is overwhelming! I've been turning the radio up indoors, because the ebb-and-flow of their continuous screaming becomes mind-numbing. I revere all Earth's creatures, but I'm glad these critters only visit every 17 years.

On Thursday, 10 June, a rare Ring-of-Fire Solar Eclipse will occur. Most people won't be able to see the full eclipse with the fiery ring live, but you can watch a partial eclipse if you go outdoors. The partial eclipse is visible in the U.K. I will see part of the partial. Bjane will see a short partial eclipse. Annette and AQ won't be able to see the eclipse at all, unless you watch it online. 

Insert the name of your nearest town/city in the Eclipse Lookup box on this page for the eclipse times and visibility in your location. The page also provides info about this eclipse. The website, Time and Date, is safe.

You can watch a live stream of the full RING-of-FIRE Eclipse online HERE. Also at Time and Date.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need eye protection if you watch this week's solar eclipse. I'm sure most folks know that eye protection is required for any solar eclipse, but this is a public forum and I felt a responsibility to include the warning.

• Oh no! I hate flying or flappy things, the thought of a cicada landing in my hair is too awful to contemplate !
  • Gah! I wouldn't be frightened of them, but I'd find it very annoying!!

The 17 year cycle is intriguing. I wonder how Nature came up with that one. At least its not every year!!
  • Sue has been around to sit in our garden this morning. and tell us all about her visit to Wales, which she enjoyed enormously. Both our dogs were a little wary, but got used to each other eventually. 

Here is Toffee:

• VITAMIN D

A couple of years ago, a Doctor told me that if I were only to do one thing for my health, I should take a Vitamin D tablet as a supplement, every day. Then I read about it, and apparently once you are Past A Certain Age, it's harder for the body to absorb and store this vitamin, but its very important for many things, including the immune system. So I bought a cheap pot of tablets, and began to have them regularly.

On a TV programme about the pandemic & how to keep yourself healthy in order to fight it, Vitamin D was mentioned again. I said to my OH, "Right, you need to take these, too!" I put a pot of his own tablets in the cupboard with the salt & pepper which we get out for meals, and I began to remind him to have one after meals. In May, he said "I've decided that I get outside enough to get all my Vitamin D from the sun in summer, so when I get to the end of this pot, I'll stop taking them."

I made no comment, but later that day I put 6 more tablets from my pot into his .... there's more than one way to take a horse to water!!

I carried on, adding 4 or 5 tablets every now and then, and only yesterday did he finally realise that his stock wasn't going down ! Now, of course I shall have to nag to make him keep on taking them. :-)

• Morning all - and nice to see SunnyKate on here.    

I wonder how Nature came up with a 17-year cicada cycle too - maybe she figured out the noise would drive Diane crazy if they emerged any sooner.  :-)

Lindybird:  Re Vitamin D, my doc told me exactly the same thing about older folks not being able to absorb it through our skin (even in sunny California!) when I had my annual physical in January and recommended a daily supplement, which I now take.  My OH takes a daily multiple vitamin, but he likes to buy them himself.

Heavy drizzle early today so the overcast will probably stick around until afternoon.   I did all the running-around errands yesterday so maybe it's a good day to work in the garden.  I'm currently stymied with the photo-sorting project having (I suspect) mixed up some 1995 and 1996 pix.  Sigh....  Daughter will be here at some point this month and granddaughter and Ms. D due early in July so may have to leave some blank pages for those years until I get their input. 

• Excuse absence - hurt my back quite badly gardening on Friday - yes me, having to garden sitting in a chair, amazing what the back seems to react to!. Spent part of Saturday lying on the bed, but feeling a lot better today - I would now call it "Back ache" rather than "Back pain". But still being very careful.
  • Hi all, hope you have had a good weekend.
    Thank you Diane for starting us off again and for informing us of the eclipse. Weather has been cloudy on and off with the sun coming out late afternoon.

OG - hope your back improves, just have to be careful how you use it for the gardening.

Cicadas are bugs are they, hundreds of thousands milling arround and noisty too boot, must be irritating but not a lot you can do about it Diane.

Lindybird , hope your friend Sue has settled down with her dog, She looks lovely and an appropriate name too for her colouring.

Keep smiling through folks, maybe not long now to a release of the lockdown rules although we will all have to be sensible.
  • This site is misbehaving again, extremely slow today, again. Very windy here today and I postponed my camera outing. Too windy & dusty to venture into garden. No sign of promised rain.

OG – I always weed perched on a low step stool. More than 10 mins and my back complains as bending forward is a no-no.

LINDA – You can fool ‘em (OHs) some of the time but eventually it catches up with you. LOL.

• Noise is a parasite. Anything noisy is poorly designed. (Raymond Loewy)

The world is noisy and messy. You need to deal with the noise and uncertainty. (Daphne Koller)

I think there's something strangely musical about noise. (Trent Reznor)

• OG: I do hope you're now fully recovered from your back ailment. Sending you healing energy from across the pond. Take it easy and be good to yourself.