DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - JUNE to SEPTEMBER 2021

Telyn & Idris are raising 2 healthy osplets, #1 & #3, following the accidental suffocation of #2.

Update - end July

Dysynni

Ystwyth

Almost synchronised ruffle:

• Well done and thank you both Patily and Olaf - good reporting and captures
  • Good evening, all ....... from our view across Cors Dyfi to the nest! Officially visiting tomorrow.
  • Hope you and Limpy have a wonderful time, Clare! Enjoy! Smiley

• When did you arrive and are you there for one or two weeks, Clare? I know you and Limpy will have a fabulous time tomorrow! It is a lovely place and the new centre is beautiful. Don't forget to have a look around upstairs, too. It is not finished, but the view from the balcony is great and you might want your photos taken while sitting in the amazing carved wooden beaver chair. There is a lot to see downstairs, too. The Monty wall does him justice, there is a great family tree wall, a map of where the restaurant food comes from, and of course the screens are great (wouldn't expect anything else from Emyr and the team!). I loved the use of all of the old wood they got from the church renovation. Food is good as well, though they only introduced the veggie quiche after we were there. Cake is gorgeous, too. Even the loos are interesting! And of course, I know you will love seeing the Ospreys--which, of course, are the main reason the entire place exists! I hope you will also manage to visit one or more of the other Welsh Osprey sites, too, and cannot wait to hear all about your trip! We enjoyed our time at Glaslyn as well, and you can see one of Monty's and Glesni's sons (Aeron/Z2) and their grandson on the Pont Croesor nest from the Glaslyn centre, too, and use their sanitised scopes for a better view!
  • Nobodyon the nest but one bird on Monty's perch Can't tell who

Have a great time CLARE and LIMPY as I am sure you will Fabulous place Where are you actually staying?
  • We arrived yesterday afternoon, and we're staying for three nights.  We're in the Morben Isaf guest house, which is across the road from the reserve - very sadly it's the last time we'll stay here as they have decided, after ten years, that they are not going to operate as a guest house any more.

We're not planning a visit to Glaslyn - I'd like to visit the red kite feeding station near Aberystwyth, and I also want to make it to South Stack.  I haven't seen a chough in years!!

• Thank you for the detailed description, GARDENBIRDER Blush

CLARE, I don't need to wish that you and LIMPY will have a great day because I know you will - and I look forward to your reports and pictures Hugging

• Have a lovley visit Clare and @ Limpy, I hope you have a lovely break and enjoy the sights, look forward to reading all about it.
  • Thought you were there for at least a week, Clare, and of course many Osprey fans will never manage to visit at all! I feel so fortunate that we are able to see Ospreys in person, both there and elsewhere. And it is definitely worth going to see Red Kites being fed, and going to see Choughs (anywhere!). Have you been to that Kite-feeding place before? We went to see them a few years ago. As we got nearer the place, for over an hour or more before the feed was due to happen the Red Kites were already gathering, soaring high overhead. There is a lake there; visitors gather on one side and the staff or special VIP visitors throw out food for the Kites on the opposite side of the lake. The Kites dive down, grab a piece of food in their talons and fly up and away, most of them never actually landing. Some drop their food and other Kites have a go at it. Some happen to drop their food into the lake and others will scoop it up from the water's surface if the bird who dropped it is not quick enough at turning round and going back for it. Some seem to be too shy to do anything other than soar overhead the whole time. Not sure if they might come down once most of the people have left. The day we were there it was estimated that at least 300 Kites visited. By now that could be far more, I imagine.
    The last time we saw Choughs was in 2014 when we had a week on the Isle of Man. Gorgeous and charming birds and I was amazed when we heard them. A pair flew over us and they were chatting in far higher pitched tones than I expected to hear, having heard other Corvids. There is a nature reserve on the south side of the island where you can watch the birds and see seals in the water and on the rocks while you are sitting in comfort inside their spacious restaurant which has a raft of floor-to-ceiling windows facing out to sea--wonderful.
  • Making me feel very envious ANN

Dysynni and Ystwyth sitting at either end of Monty's perch, one shouting loudly for fish