Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 May 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a good week and a joyful, healthy, safe summer.

I think some of you might enjoy this recent OSPREY PHOTO. It's on the Facebook page of Dr. Frans de Waal, the renowned primatologist and biologist. (The page is safe and free of any malware.)

• Heather: I can't imagine people starting construction work at 9:30 pm. and would have to speak up, regardless of how pleasant they were.
  • Clematis in the plum tree has begun to come out.

Family now gone, and the house is strangely quiet!

• Yesterday was a busy day preparing for today's vehicle swap. Today it all went wrong - special seat - which cost me about £3K - is no good for me at all. This makes the car unnecessary. Talked to Motability and they said something will have to be sorted for us as the delivery driver did not check that I could use the seat. (ie got them on a technicality!). Got to speak to seat people tomorrow, and possibly to the dealer too. I wasn't surprised as I expected trouble, and not very upset as I was beginning to doubt the vehicle being okay for a man of E-E's age to drive. After staying at home since March last year, what does it matter anyway? Until something is finalised E-E will mostly use J's car.

Expecting Plumber to come and finish his bit of kitchen tomorrow afternoon - wonder whether he will arrive? Still no answer to calls and messages re painter, and nothing from kitchen fitter yet. I should know better than to ask for these things.
  • OG: I'm so sorry that it all went wrong with the car. I had hoped that it would give you more options for getting out of the house. I hope they will offer an acceptable solution or nix the deal, whatever works best for you and EE. So, so sorry. Wish there were something I could say to help.

• OG:  That must be so distressing.  What was wrong with the seat?   Assume you didn't have a chance to try one out before it was ordered (and after it was delivered apparently).  Hope they can come up with an acceptable alternative, including a seat that would work for you.  Still, if the vehicle won't work for EE, perhaps they'll give you a full refund, but what will that mean for you getting out and about....   Meanwhile, good luck with the kitchen's loose ends....

SoCal Edison showed up on time, cut the power a bit later than projected and so were an hour later turning it back on, but all in all, an easy fix.  

I'm continuing to sort through paperwork (oh Lord how my OH LOVES to make copies!!).  Did find a birthday card for me (signed and everything) that somehow never got delivered because he'd hid it but then couldn't find it.....  Wonder what else I'll unearth...

Going to Brit friend's house for coffee in the morning, then on to do some errands.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

• The usual unexciting Wed morn out food shopping. My supermarket is renovating – changing chest freezers to very tall cabinet freezers. Top shelf is very far away - I am 5’ 3¼”. (That ¼” is important as my mother was a mere  5’ 3”. Interesting that recent medical checks weighed me but took my word for my height. I was sort of hoping to know if I have shrunk.) Back in supermarket, every week it is a challenge to find anything as items keep moving and stock is low. Shoppers wandering frustrated back & forth. Tall stacker tells me, in time, they will rearrange whole store. Oh no. Maybe it has something to do with the new W store opening next door “soon” in the former Target.

A few weeks ago a returned traveller completed hotel quarantine in Adelaide, tested negative to covid, returned home to Victoria, 3 days later tested positive. He caught the virus when it escaped from one hotel room during meal delivery. So far 60 infections in Melbourne. Poor Melbourne has had 7 day lockdown extended another 7 days. State borders closed. Victorian passengers were removed from the Ghan (Adelaide-Darwin) & Indian-Pacific (Sydney-Perth) trains and placed in hotel quarantine. Serious concerns that this “gamma” variant (prev known as Indian) is so infectious that it spreads when people walk past each other. Scary. It has increased testing numbers & vaccinations in Victoria.

OG – So frustrating. I do hope they can fix your car seat problem and pronto.

HEATHER – We have a few neighbours whose visitors beep their car horn when they depart, no matter how late. Thank you very much, we don’t need to know you are leaving.

ANNETTE – I have not restarted tabs. Mine are one a day for five years. I cannot imagine curled up in a ball in a corner feeling sick & depressed for 5 years. Having stopped, I am not bouncing back this time as quickly. I get very tired by evening. At least I am sleeping at night now.

• Just a thought

Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold (Zelda Fitzgerald)

• Good Morning. Bright again here. I've overslept today as got up twice in the early hours, then went back to dreaming and my OH left me to sleep.

OG - So sorry to hear about your car problems and I'm crossing everything that it can be resolved, to get you out and about again.

More replies later: I must get up!!
  • OG - so disappointing for you. I hope that something can be sorted out. I'm sure that you will have considered a wheelchair accessible car - our late friends had one, he was 80 something and found it easy to drive, his wife in her wheelchair in the back and the ramp was lowered to enable him to move the chair ( and her!) very easily.