Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 May 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week! Stay safe, friends.

• Grandson left. OH and I are stuffed. OH has gone to nap and I'm going to deadhead some roses.
  • DIBNLIB – Wonderful collection of faces in your “bakers” jigsaw.

I woke this morn to the wonderful sound of winter – wind, rain & noisy planes. With the wind in the “wrong” direction the planes were using the short runway and needing extra power. There is a rush of takeoffs when the curfew ends at 6 am -all those people dashing off interstate! OH was not thrilled to fetch in the paper in the rain but would not let me. I don’t mind getting wet, as I say, it’s only water! It looks like starting the kitchen’s thorough clean is on today’s agenda instead of weeding.

• Just a thought

The older I get, the better I understand that every day is a gift. (Joel Osteen)

• Annette: Yup. We are all anxiously awaiting the return of Brood X, the 17-year cicadas. Indiana is the epicenter for this brood. Trillions of them were expected to emerge out of the ground sometime between the end of April and mid-May across several states. However, the scientists are uncertain what will happen now. Here in Indiana, we had a snow storm on April 20, and it's been cold with many nights of frost since then. I have a frost warning right now. That's a problem for the cicadas, because the soil temperature has to be over 64F (17.7C) at 8 inches deep for them to emerge.

I revere all Earth's wildlife, but I'm not looking forward to those creepy, crunchy critters. I know they'll get into my house. Their high-pitched rattle-screeching noise was maddening last time they appeared (I was 46 years old then). Their noise can reach 106 decibels (as loud as a jet plane taking off). They do have beautiful wings. I wish them well.

They'll be a banquet for the birds and animals here. The raccoons will get so fat that they can't climb trees. I feel sorry for the bugs, though. Can't imagine what it's like to be underground for 17 years, finally get a chance to see the sunshine, and then within 30 seconds get eaten by a squirrel! LOL

Cicada
    Dan Keck, photographer
    Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• Good Morning. Sunny at times here, but blustery & wet in between.

An amazing story about the cicadas - we don't have anything like that here, of course. It sounds like a bit of a pain. Hope that maybe only half of them emerge in the unusual circumstances.

Glad you had a lovely visit from your grandson, Annette.
  • Whoa, where is everyone?

Wild & windy here. Went for a seafront walk & got wet within minutes of setting out - lots of showers here. Not many people around, guess they're waiting for better weather!
  • Waves being whipped up by the wind.

• Can she fly with those ears, Lindy? LOL
  • I love the little wildflowers at this time of year.