LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

• I missed that CRinger, thanks.

13.59.04 Axel returned, bringing some of the fish back.  There was another struggle to let go

Mistle tries to grab it

Mistle stayed holding the fish.  Axel crept up and attempted to take it back, but Mistle pecked him just above his beak - don't you dare!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• They really have been wonderful today.  A fish.  Nearly all the time one or 'tuther has been on nest.  They have shared the fish too

Just for the record. from about 10.00

10.47.54       Mistle returned to the nest, possibly defending against unseen intruder

10.48.00        Mistle looks behind her intently

10.50.18       Mistle reacts to unseen intruder that appears to fly around the nest.  She turns 360 degrees, shadow seen as osprey flies down and past the nest                     – carrying a fish?

Carrying a fish, blue Darvic on left leg and BTO on the right leg

10.51            Intruder still around

10.54              Mistle intruder calls and mantles again.  It's overhead, flash of wing on the top fish of the screen

10.55.17        Mistle takes off – after intruder, or to get away.

10.55.57        Mistle returns alert

10.57.47        Mistle mantles, calls

10.58.10        F unringed intruder tries to land, Mistle rises and attacks her, seeing her off

11.01.57        Mistle shakes her feathers.  Incident over?

11.20              Mistle calling for fish – is Axel within sight?

11.38              FISH  Axel arrives with a headless fish.  Just the one up to 18.03

11.38.36        Mistle takes off with the fish

11.41            Axel flies off

11.45            Osprey, Mistle?,  found on a tree

11.48.20        Cam pans and back to the nest

12.20            Cam pans again, and finds Mistle ? eating a fish on a tall dead pine

12.24.30         Cam pans again, back to branch of  open tree top- osprey preening.

12.24.52        Close-up – it's Mistle – weird   It's Axel, keeping guard!

12.33.03         Axel returns to the nest

12.35.57         Axel flies

12.38.35          Axel and Mistle return.  Leftover fish transferred with a struggle.  Axel takes it and flies off

12.42.57         Mistle is pottering

13.22               Mistle still sitting doing little.

13.37.20          Axel returns with the fish tailMistle takes it.  The fish lies to the left of her talons

13.40               Axel flew off and returned to mate – it is quite windy.  I'm not sure whether it was a success

Axel flew off again and stayed away this time.

13.58.4           Axel returned, and wanders around the nest.

14.00.5           Axel flew off

14.09.18        Mistle picked up the tail end and started to eat.

14.11              Mistle flew off with the fish tail

14.12               Axel returned – where's the fish?!!

14.23.50         Mistle brought the fish tail back.  Axel pulled and tugged to get it from her grasp.  She hung on.  He had another go and she pecked him!

14.25.20         Axel it roaming the nest, and has another go at pinching the fish.  Mistle is having nothing of it.  Axel flew off.

14.28               Cam went roaming again, looking for Axel.

14.30              Found him on a tree perch                     

14.34.32         Back to the nest, and Mistle, just standing.

14.52.40         Mistle ate some more fish.  Raining.

15.18.07          Continuing to eat

15.26              She is down to the tail fin.  A shake of the head and it's gone.

15.29                A bit of twig moving, and towards the cup.

15.35.48          Axel lands on her back – and a successful mating with gusto!

Axel flew off.  Mistle flaps her wings and gives her feathers a shake before cleaning her bill on a handy piece of wood.

15.47.30          Mistle has flown

15.48.34          Axel returned

15.44.02         Axel had flown

16.14.58          Mistle has returned

16.16.40         Axel lands on her back – not sure whether it was successful. 

Axel flew off

16.59.36         Mistle has flown  ENS

17.04.54         Mistle landed on the far rim, looking very wet - it was raining earlier

Followed by Axel, who landed on 'our' side, he took looks wet.  It's continued to rain I assume.

17.10.49        Axel flew off

Mistel remains on the nest.

edit:  18.15  Mistle has flown

• WOW! What a super summary of the day so far, Sheila - thank you!
  • A bit like the good old Daily Update! It was fun, but extremely time consuming. Thank goodness for slomo too, I loved the way the fish changed talons so many times. And that Mistle got to the stage she wasn't going to hand it over, and Axel sort of slunk back. Will there be an egg later, or can I spare another day to sit glued to the screen!

• Terrific summary, SHEILA Hugging

SheilaFE said:

14.52.40         Mistle ate some more fish.  Raining.

15.18.07          Continuing to eat

Here are snippets up to that point - you may judge how the two are getting on - it doesn't look brilliant but it's nice to see Mistle commanding her fish-piece Wink

I shan't be doing any more for a while.

• But I shouldn't have said "summary", it was more a blow-by-blow, detailed review. Thanks so much, SHEILA :-*
  • Super vid, Scylla, thanks
    18.15 Mistle has flown

• Sandra P said:
    WOW! What a super summary of the day so far, Sheila - thank you!

A superbly scintillating summary! Hats off to Sheila!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• LOL A few years ago we had a Daily Update (DU) which was just that. No chat, no information given, just updates! We took it in turns

• 18.38 Mistle in in the cup, calling. She wants a fish supper
    I'm off now.