LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

• I think it's Axel AX6, hopefully the Loch Garten will be able to give an update on this mornings coming and goings.
  • Here's another -11:39

Edit - AX6?

©Loch Garten/RSPB

• Yes me too, I agree it is Axel.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Sandra Axel certainly brought the headless fish in at 11.38. He must have been sitting out of sight of us, the VC and Mistle,
    Jane - once again I think you have understood the situation! Mistle had been aware of the intruder(s) since 10.47 when she returned to the nest. When the blue ringed osprey .with the fish flashed past us, I think Mistle was actually defending against an intruder who followed Axel to the nest - probably the female who tried to land at 10.58.10. Mistle was defending against someone behind Axel. So not a pair, but a female trying her luck with a male with a fish, and a nest. But our Mistle is turning into a real feisty lass. She actually attacked the intruder off the nest.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I have watched the replays and find no fault whatsoever in Sheila's interpretation of events. Spot on!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• JaneV said:
    Thank goodness a fish

Thanks Jane! We can all be happy we've seen her have a fish at last

• Good morning from across the Pond. Thank goodness for the fish! She is a tuff bird, probably borrowing from EJ's spirit on the nest.
    I will be absent for a month traveling West in a van, and hope to expect osplets when I return!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• 11.45 cam pans and finds an osprey on a tree - but not eating, so was it Mistle or ANother?

12.20 cam pans again and finds an osprey atop a tall dead pine, apparently eating a fish.  Mistle?

12.24.30 cam moves off the dead tree and back to the tree next to the nest - Is this the female intruder, taking her change while Mistle is away?  Does she have a BTO on the right foot?

LOL  I just caught a glimpse of a blue Darvic.  It's Axel keeping guard!

• 12.33  He dropped down to the nest - he has such a dark breast.  I ought to have considered the manner of what turned out to be Axel - completely relaxed and at home.  An intruder would have been looking around making sure there were no other osps near by!  Will I never learn!

12.35 Axel flew

12.38  Cracking camera work as Axel tried to reach the nest before Mistle landed with the left over!  Both birds with wide wings heading to the nest

There was a bit of a tussle with fish.  Mistle was unable to let go, but she did eventually, and Axel flew 12.39

Mistle has been pottering.  There is more dead grass now.