LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

• Les Carr said:
    Thanks CRinger and SheilaFE, I’m really surprised you were able to decipher my writing, I think it’s all a thing of the past now, the number of times I’ve written Odin flew in with a FIHS still makes me smile.

I always put the occasional spelling error down to your aboslutely genuine excitement!

You need to tell that story on here about - was it a ?Goosander? that you saw disappear beneath the surface of the Spey one evening and the cause? I am sure you remember it.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• The signs are good. She is bringing in lining material for the nest.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I’d walked down the field from the chalets to the river Spey to do a bit of bird of bird watching when a big “Splash” caught my attention, I rushed to the riverbank to see a goosander, only problem was IT WAS IN AN OTTERS MOUTH and it was flying underwater trying to get away, I followed it along the riverbank for about 500 yards and it went under the far bank.
    I phoned the camp and told them what I was watching, I told them to “walk down the field from the chalets to the riverside where I was and they would see it,”
    By now the goosander was dead and was being eaten very loudly by the otter,
    The team decided in their wisdom to come down by car and parked on the side of the road next to the railway only to find themselves on the wrong side of the river, standing almost above the otter( which was still eating the goosander) but not being able to see anything, a really good evening, For me

Les Carr

• Thanks Les! Just 1 of the amazing sights and sounds that LG volunteers may be priveleged to see. I think RSPB should put you on a retainer for encouraging new voluneers!

• Absolutely CRinger, Les is part of the furniture up at Garten... we've had MANY a chuckle over the years.... The stories I've heard in the FH and chalets... I should write a book !!!
  • Mike B said:
    MC. I hope you've found that the picture is now OK?

I posted "We're mended" @ 06:05, Mike, but it got lost above the fish vid.

• How wonderful to hear the tales and stories of the old days as volunteers. It sounds such fun, alongside the serious task of recording the every move of the ospreys. Who is on the nest, when eggs were turned, fish brought in and what species, intruders (feathered variety, hopefully) seen or heard, eggs cracking, chicks hatching, juveniles fledging. Oh what joy!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• henry w said:
    Absolutely CRinger, Les is part of the furniture up at Garten... we've had MANY a chuckle over the years.... The stories I've heard in the FH and chalets... I should write a book !!!

Henry please don't include in the book the episode about the sheep in the farmer's field filing a petition at the Inverness Sheriff's court that Les's snoring from the chalet kept them awake at night. 

• SheilaFE said:
    How wonderful to hear the tales and stories of the old days as volunteers. It sounds such fun, alongside the serious task of recording the every move of the ospreys. Who is on the nest, when eggs were turned, fish brought in and what species, intruders (feathered variety, hopefully) seen or heard, eggs cracking, chicks hatching, juveniles fledging. Oh what joy!

I remember well re-reading a one and a half page entry in the volunteers log (when I was analysing the data in 1999 for my thesis, about an incident on the nest 1 day in the early 1990's). It wasn't about the Ospreys - it was about the 20 minute appearance of a wryneck ojn the nest tree shortly after dawn. Word got out and the next day there were about 100  people in the VC as soon as it opened - not looking for Ospreys - but looking to see if the wryneck would put in a  re-appearance.

I say 're-read' because I was there when it was written by my partner volunteer, I was rather humbled as he was at least 20 years younger than me and realised the importance of the sighting. I had never heard of a wryneck, but got a good view of it and he made me identify it from the excellent field guide we had in the FH. There was something quite surreal looking at data in 1999 that I had entered in the log as a volunteer 6, 7 and 8 years arlier.  

Sadly it was not seen again on my watch.