LOCH GARTEN Daily Obs & Captures MAY 2021

On the 15th of March the 360 cam went live and an Osprey landed on the nest.  It didn't take too long for a pair to begin bonding:

Male: BlueAX6 "Axel" - Ringed at a nest in Glen Affric on 1st July 2016, he was the only survivor of 3 eggs.

Female: Unringed "Mistle" - a very beautiful specimen, according to our long view.

(Unofficial names - LG will decide on names if deemed appropriate.)

This inexperienced couple is bonding well - Axel has been a good provider, they're both enthusiastic nestbuilders, the only element that requires more work is the mating technique.

EDIT 01 JUNE - Axel & Mistle deserted the nest in May, apparently spooked by intruders.  As there has been very little activity since then, this thread will continue to the end of the 2021 season, unless dictated otherwise by ospreys.

Photo ©RSPB LochGarten

Cam info kindly provided by Peter @ Carnyx.tv:

There is an identical camera and microphone on this nest as the HD camera at Llyn Clywedog (Osprey). However the nest was struck by lightning. This took out the camera, the camera power supply and the WiFi link back to the centre. We managed to replace the power supply and Wifi but it was too late in the season to climb to the nest.

IMAGICAT

• asd

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• hdc

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Morning all!  I went back to the 09.15 fish delivery and came up to date.  How wonderful to see the camera being used to great effect with a x5 zoom!  This is such an improvement, clear and bright, showing Mistle's bib in all its glory!

I thought it might be useful to see the nest in relation to the treecam from where we are getting the pictures.  After Mistle flew the cam panned back, and then to the left to find her on one of the branches atop the camera tree or camtree (as opposed to campost on the nest LOL).

This shows all the refurnishment that has been done to the nest 'tree' over the years.  

Quoting from Roy Dennis' masterpiece about osprey, A Life of Ospreys

The severe drought of 1976 killed the old osprey tree at Loch Garten and the top became unsafe. Eventually, in 1980, the ospreys moved house and built a new eyrie in the nearby, live pine and remained there for a while. Sadly, vindictive egg thieves had not finished with them. In the winter of 1986, the osprey nest itself was cut down and destroyed while, in 1990, the hide was burnt to the ground. After the destruction of the nest, Loch Garten staff re-built the tree using wooden struts, allowing an artificial nest to be raised high off the ground. That spring the ospreys readily adopted the man-made nest and it became a real success story, remaining in use ever since.

Dennis, Roy. A Life of Ospreys . Booksource. Kindle Edition.

What happened at Llyn Brenig on Friday night is nothing new, but it is dammed time it stopped.

We were then given wonderful close-ups of Mistle on one of the camtree perches - Queen of all she surveys.  I hope we are given more of these wonderful close-ups and views of the area!

Mistle is quietly sitting in the nest on her own, periodically looking with intent, eyes alight presumably checking all is well!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Fergus C said:
    Hey all,

We have been seeing AX6 sitting around most of the morning just in the camera tree and he even took off to do a little bit of skydancing around 11 this morning. Haven't seen the female osprey for a little while but I am sure she is around!

F

Good to get news from the ground, so to speak.  Thanks Fergus.

• Very interesting Sheila thank you. It is so sad to see that wildlife crimes are still happening 30 years later,
  • Here is a vid made in 2014 when EJ and Henry the pair on the nest.  Some of the footage is not at LG nor of LG birds, but I think you will recognised the odd-bird-out nest!  Richard Thaxton was the former Warden, who wrote regular blogs and updates, and was full of enthusiasm about the nest.  He was often seen at the VC mingling with visitors.  He was Jess's predecessor.  I had a week as a volunteer in 2010, with warm clothes and a sleeping bag for the two night shift I did!  There is a lovely shot of EJ when Claire was reporting from the Forward Hide with the magnificent German binoculars on the shelf.  The FH has been upgraded since I was there, and has the luxury of a microwave and safer heating I believe.  Les will be able to confirm!  Enjoy

• Axel landed   "Have you got a fish down there?"

I think he had the tail end of the fish

• SheilaFE said:

Quoting from Roy Dennis' masterpiece about osprey, A Life of Ospreys

The severe drought of 1976 killed the old osprey tree at Loch Garten and the top became unsafe. Eventually, in 1980, the ospreys moved house and built a new eyrie in the nearby, live pine and remained there for a while. Sadly, vindictive egg thieves had not finished with them. In the winter of 1986, the osprey nest itself was cut down and destroyed while, in 1990, the hide was burnt to the ground. After the destruction of the nest, Loch Garten staff re-built the tree using wooden struts, allowing an artificial nest to be raised high off the ground. That spring the ospreys readily adopted the man-made nest and it became a real success story, remaining in use ever since.

Dennis, Roy. A Life of Ospreys . Booksource. Kindle Edition.

What happened at Llyn Brenig on Friday night is nothing new, but it is dammed time it stopped.

I have it on the best authority that in the 'bad old days' when egg collecting was rife solid information was received that there would be a raid on a certain Osprey's nest to steal the eggs. The date was uncertain. Thankfully 'someone' had a contact with the Royal Marines who decided it would be a great opportunity as a training exercise for the Marines to 'dig themselves in' and protect the nest 24/7. As predicted the raid came.  The police were not called and the would be robber was refused a lift to the hospital which he badly needed. I am by no means a member of the 'lynch mob' fraternity, but sometimes there can be more persuasive deterrents than the anaemic law (as it was then). It is such a shame that there was no similar intelligence prior to lhe recent attack in Wales.  

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Is that how the 24/7 watch evolved?

• Thanks for the update and video link Sheila, a trip down memory lane, not that I was here when Henry was on the go, but lovely to see the beautiful EJ again.

Thanks Limpy for all the beautiful photos you have posted for us, she really is a lovely looking bird and has taken to this nest so well, with her housekeeping. The male has shown good as well, bringing her fish and mating, although things were a bit iffy to start with! Fingers crossed that this is the year when a new beginning is happening at LG, it is long overdue. I am sure our EJ and Odin are looking down and would be very happy with Mistle & Axel (hopefully LG will keep these names) keeping the flag flying for LG. Can't wait to see what happens?

Thanks to all for the updates and photos.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.