Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 18 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe week! Be sure to check back to last week's thread to see Lindy's photos and other posts!

• I baked a yummy lamb casserole for tea last night; meat fell off the bone. Enough for 2 more meals now in freezer.

I don’t like this talk of Mull – it’s making my feet itchy!!!

OH is out for lunch.  Yeay!!! This morn I had a brief photo escape, visited 2 libraries, different supermarket & Barossa Fine Foods. From the latter, a ham bone with enough meat left on it to last us for days, before I turn it into soup. Dau emailed a photo of a beaming MissL, captioned “Spot what is missing”. Tooth fairy must have called .

• A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. (Doudlas Adams)

I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers of foolproof items keep a fool or two on their payroll to test things. (Alan Coren)

A quick glance at the number of items that shoppers take through supermarket express check-outs indicates a lot of people can’t count.

• Good ones there AQ. :-) Sounds like you had a good day.
  • Pat O said:
    I have worked very hard over the years when I have visited Skye NEVER to have even seen the bridge! It takes a bit of ingenuity and some pretty hairy driving - but it is possible! The first time I went - I hate to think how many years ago!! - there was no bridge, just an ancient ferry, and that's how I want to remember it! I have never seen the bridge ... and I intend to keep it that way!

We've only been to Skye once - and yes, we drove over the bridge.  It was in October 2007 and we were staying in Burghead on the Moray coast.  We had a book of Scottish castles (Helen was a big castle fan at the time) and we asked her if there was a castle in the book she'd like to visit.  After peering at the book for a while she abruptly announced that she would like to visit 'this one'.  'This one' turned out to be Dunvegan at the far end of Skye!  After some deliberation we decided we'd go (despite the 4 hour drive!) and what a great decision it was.  We drove across some of the most beautiful scenery in Scotland on what was the most perfect day of autumn weather you could imagine.  We all had a lovely day, though we were thoroughly knackered at the end of it.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I walked on the white sandy beach below Dunvegan Castle at midnight - and it was still broad daylight! You made the right decision, Clare. And I'm sure Helen enjoyed the castle - it's a goodie!
  • You must have gone in summer - it's quite strange for me (as a southerner) to see it fail to get dark in the middle of the night!

By the way I'd like to wish everyone a lovely St George's Day. It's certainly a beautiful morning here, though very cold for April.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thank you, Clare - I had forgotten to make note that it's St George's Day.

Bright again here, with quite warm temps promised so we hope to get into the garden later. First I must work to get a large thorn out of my OHs right foot which he asked me to look at.
  • HARELADY: I'm so very glad that you were able to visit with your family in person. I can only imagine how much you've missed them. So happy for you!
  • CLARE: I'm so, so happy for you that you'll be able to enjoy a visit to Mull in the autumn. I wish you the best trip ever. I hope you'll enjoy every minute.
  • Lindy: I've enjoyed all of your photos in the thread. Wales is such a beautiful country. I've always thought I'd enjoy it. I'd love to take a train trip there. Your flowers are lovely. 

AQ: I'm glad you've been able to get out and about. Good decision on the vaccine. I want you to be able to safely take some trips this autumn. I hope you have no vaccine side effects. The only one I had was extremely vivid, weird, and dystopian dreams during the nights after the jab. I checked online, and apparently many folks are experiencing that one. My second jab is May 10.

OG: I was so sorry to read that you had to cancel your recent appointment. I hope the new car will be ready soon and will meet all of your needs. Maybe you can get out more during the summer. I also hope the kitchen renovation will be finished quickly and will meet all of your expectations. I know it must be such an inconvenience to have the kitchen all torn up, especially for someone like you who's very organized. I'm glad you're enjoying watching the spring birds.